SLOWLY but surely building one input would be greatly appericiated

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John-Miles, Dec 1, 2001.

1. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Well, im still really new to this forum, but i love it, you guys are all great, its so nice to get informed opinions, and thereby make myself more informed.

so basically im going to give you a run down on what i have, my plans for future equipment, and i want your input, good bad or otherwise. let me know what you think i need what should be replaced down the road and so on.

ok right now I have a 20" citizen tv (crap I know, but hey when i was 12 and i bought it, it was pretty damn good, and its still functional)

I have a Sony Str-de445 reciever (in retrospect i should ahve informed myself more before i bought this, but im still happy with it.)

I have PSB Alpha Intro line of speakers, and an alpha subzero subwoofer

I also have a cheap sony vcr (personally i dont care to get a good one id rather watch dvd's)

currently I watch my dvd's on my computer (i have a 19" flat screen monitor so its actually better than my tv)

my next purchse is going to be a sony playstation 2 which I plan to use as my primary dvd player (im a big gamer so i figured this was a necessary step)

and hopefully when i get my tax return (us students tend to rely on them) I plan to buy a good HDTV im currently looking at the sony Wega 32" XBR

after that I have no idea what my next purchase will be so please feel free to say whatever comes to mind.

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Concentrate on getting the 32" XBR first, so you can view widescreen DVD's without squinting. Then maybe you could move up to the Sony ES receiver(since your happy and have been well served by your present Sony).

And I'm not that familiar with your speakers (I know PSB, but not familiar with the Alpha intro's), but I have heard of the Sub Zero sub (PSB?, NHT?) Isn't this a fairly small sub? Maybe we should get yopu into a bigger sub too.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

John,

Your request is somewhat broad! I would concentrate on one item at a time- and maybe spend some time reading up on existing posts here and on other HT forums. You'll find when you're looking to upgrade everything- doing reading rather than asking will probably put you on the right track.

If you do get on track and find yourself wanting to ask for advice- always stipulate ehat you're expecting to spend.

My only advice would be to reconsider the PS2 as the DVD player. From what I've seen and heard it's a pretty lackluster DVD player. How many people do you know who used their PSX as theor main CD player?

I would say you might have some luck watching the classifieds here on the forum. PIcking up a one or two generation old player from one of the better manufacturers (Panasonic is widely regarded for good video quality, and all the RV/RP players are very reliable- never hear stories of discs not working on Panasonic!).

Picking up second hand from established memebers here on the forum usually means getting mint condition gear, top of the line stuff, and very fair prices. This might put a turbo on getting some new stuff together!

-vince

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Thanks for the great input guys, and to be honest thats what i have been doing alot of lately, just reading. I never really mentioned price because i tend to buy things as i can afford them, so if i decide i need something i just wait till i can afford it and buy it. (my next purchase, after a PS2 is most likely going to be a WEGA so ive been saving te pennies so to speak.)

As far as using my PS2 (when i get it) for DVD playback, I will be honest its not my first choice, but I want a PS2 froma gaming point of view first, and i figure since my current TV isn't all that great it probably isn't even making the most of what the PS2 can do for DVD.

the main purpose of y post I guess was to just get general input on my current system, as well as some direction on what to upgrade first. right now im thinking after my Wega a better DVD player will be in order.

Again thanks for the Input

5. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

I would concentrate on getting the TV first. If you could somehow manage it, buy a PS2 and DVD player at the same time. With that nice XBR you wont want to be using the PS2 as your DVD player.

6. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

For sure...... but its all economics at this point, i can afford the PS2 now..... but i need my income tax return, and posibly a bit more for the WEGA, the trials of being a student.....