What's new

slow moving ripple across screen (1 Viewer)

darron Z

Stunt Coordinator
when viewing dvds from my prog scan sony 755 through my xd300u mits projecter, i see a wavy line , or ripple effect , not staticy but clear wave that slowly rolls upward across screen every few minutes. what is this ,can i fix it? thanks Darron

Link to E-Bay auction removed by moderator. Please read our rules and don't post this again. - Cees

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Darron,

I would hazard the quess that you have some line hash riding on your AC line. Boy, the causes could be a multitude of things. Do you have dedicated circuits for your digital gear vs your amps ? A sub AC panel for just your HT gear ?.
This is a problem I have had in the past and I have taken so many steps to clean up my AC that I could not point to one thing that makes my noise floor so black, or my ancient Tosh RPTV look so clean. It is an aggregate of all things--- from dedicated circuits to Audioprism Quiet Lines, to even the esoteric ERS paper and ERS Z-Sleeves.

I would recommend you go back from your projector and trace ALL your AC connections. Look around your home even and seek sources of AC noise. Unfortunately, they are everywhere. The aim is to quiet, or isolate them all so they do not contaminate your AV setup. It takes time, and money.

Good Luck,

BOK

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Some diagnosis is in order to rule out matters.
1) Borrow someone elses player and see if the problem goes away.
2) Target has 12 foot? GE component video cables for $20 or so (they take returns). The connection or shield on your existing cables may be bad.

Let's take it from there.

darron Z

Stunt Coordinator
i think it is more in the processing of the video , since it is not a constant . i dont see it on ntsc broadcast or directv, just under prog scan dvd . and i thought to rule out contamination because it is a clear line wave hardly noticable and every few minutes, wouldnt a signal contamination be more consistent?

Derek_P

Stunt Coordinator
it could be heat from the projector... i was getting teh same thing when i had my projector on a table....it would look like water ripples

Steve Griswold

Stunt Coordinator
I get similar things too on some dvds -- usually it's only visible on high-contrast/single color backgrounds (esp. FBI warnings). Even then, it only appears on certain DVDs and not others. On mine, it's a wavy line/ripple right through the middle of the set (horizontally) that usually disappears when the movie starts.

I just got the whole house re-wired with new grounding circuits, and am using a monster stage 2 power strip/filter..thing is, I had the same problem with my old (1990) Sony TV , old DVD player, and old house. Strange.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It sounds like a ground loop to me. If cable TV is involved anywhere, or if there is audio equipment plugged into two different circuits on opposite electrical phases, that’s probably the problem.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

DavidLW

Stunt Coordinator
Some light dimmers, when in dim mode, will emmit EMF that can be picked up by long video cables run or if the cable is next to the dimmer. When ever my dimmer was in a dim mode I got a thin white line that slowly traveled up the screen. I would not get the line if the dimmer was off or fully on. The problem disappeared when I moved my player closer to the projecter. I went from a 35 feet cable run to 18 feet run.

FrederickR

Grip
I don't know if resolve your probleme yet.
If not.
Try to send a non-progressive signal from your dvd to the VGA component/computer to let the DCDI do its work.
projectorcentral has denoted some problem with progressive scan signal and the XD300.
Maybe it will fix your problem.

Thanks

Fred

Paul Carleton

Auditioning
This sounds like a ground loop. More than likely coming in from your cable and some piece of equipment you have in your system is completing it. Try disconnecting cable, Sat too if you have it, and see if it goes away. If it does you will need do start looking into methods to kill ground loop. An upward scrolling line is how it shows up in Video. If it were audio it would show up as a hum.

If the unlikely event it is not coming through your cable. Get a three prong or two prong adapter and start putting it on different pieces of equipment to see if it goes away. One or more of those could be causing it.

darron Z

Stunt Coordinator
so far i havnt had too much time to tinker with it, busy building the theater room , but thanks for the tips, i will try them !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks