Slow image loading in XP

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ari, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

I just put together an XP Pro machine and images take so long to load!! When I click on My Pictures, it takes several minutes for the images to load, even if it's just thumbnails or icons. The images are downloaded from my 4MP digital camera and are in .jpg format.

Here is what I have in my rig:
    P4 2.53
    512 MB PC333 RAM
    MSI GEMax2 Motherboard

Could it be a RAM problem?
    Could it be a video card problem (I'm using the integrated video of the mobo)?
    Could I just be putting too many hi-res images in the folder?

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    What kind of intergrated video do you have on the mobo? Does it used shared RAM?

I am running an XP Home Edition with 512M of PC 133 RAM, AMD 2600+ and Asus mobo and the images load up just fine. I am also using an integrated video with 64M of shared RAM.

You might try putting in a dedicated video card and see if that resolves the issue as the rest of the system should handle the images just fine.

Parker

3. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

The integrated video on my MOBO uses the Intel Extreme Graphics 82845G graphics controller. I don't know if the controller has dedicated RAM but it says that it has 64MB which might be shared. My current settings are 1024x768, 32-bit and I'm using a Samsung 151Q LCD monitor.

The only other video card I have lying around is a GeForce2MX 32MB which might even give me less performance than my current video adaptor.

4. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

It won't hurt to throw that seperate card in to test the theory.
    Though, unless your integrated video is defective in some way, there's really no way that's the problem.
    I'm running XP Pro on an Athalon 700 with 320mb of ram and a 32mb video card and I have folders with hundreds of digital pics in them and they load right up.

It sounds like a Windows issue to me.

5. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

I finally figured out the problem...some conflict with Photoshop. Thanks for all the help!!