Slow computer.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Whalen, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Dan Whalen

Dan Whalen Stunt Coordinator

My computer is extremely slow. What can I do to get it to run faster, short of buying a new one (this one's not even payed off yet)? It's a Gateway and it's a couple of years old. I'm a computer idiot, so if you all have any suggestions I need them in laymans terms.[​IMG] Thanks.
    Dan

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    What are you trying to do? The answers for speeding up your web surfing, printing, or game playing would be different.

3. Dan Whalen

Dan Whalen Stunt Coordinator

Mainly web surfing.

4. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    What browser are you using? What are the current specs for processor and RAM. Any computer will surf fast over a broadband connection unless its all full of junk and not optimized. I've got my in-laws 200Mhz over here working on it and its on my lan, getting a broadband connection, and because its a fresh install and pretty bare bones in the software, it loads web pages almost as fast as my daily-use 1.6GHz with 1GB of RAM. Give us a few more details to work with.

5. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    How are you connected to the internet? A brand new top of the line computer connected to a dialup isp will be slower than an older model connected to a cable modem.

6. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

If you don't use a fast connection service (like cable or DSL) then at least consider getting more memory, a V92 compatible modem (these seem to hook up at a slightly higher rate), and maybe consider changing to a different OS (I run a dual 98SE/XP computer and XP seem to always hook at 53200 vs the 49999 or 50000 that 98 hooks up and the pages seem to load twice as fast as well).