What's new

slow build (1 Viewer)

Matt_Beals

Grip
I'm sure this has been discussed a million times before, but my search didn't turn up much.

I'm looking at building up a descent theater system for my apt. I already have a good DVD player so I'm looking for a reciever/speaker/sub setup. What I would like to do is build it up slowly, so maybe start with a half way quality reciever and small e-bay special bookshelf speakers and a 8" sub, then slowly buy bigger and better speakers.

I want to do this over the next few months and am looking at spending $100 to $200 a month to get it done.

I don't really need anything special from the reciever. Just the basic stuff. Optical and digital ports. Good power to all 5 channels and nominal power to the sub (plan on running a powered sub). I'd prefer to stay away from external amps. I'm not getting that involved yet.
Doesn't need to have a built in CD or DVD player, just the right decoders for DTS and the other common 5.1 encoders. THX would be nice, but i have a feeling it is out of my price range.

So my first question is, should I just bite the bullet and blow 2 months worth of budget on a good reciever, or are there some good ones that will do what I want for not a whole lot?

Secondly: are there any system in a box systems that can be easily upgraded through swaping speakers into an acceptable system.

This will be a system for more Movies then music in an average sized room (it's an apt, but the room about the size of a typical family room).

John S

Senior HTF Member
The plan sounds good enough.

The HTIB's that really allow for upgrading start in the $300 range. It is a good option, and you can probably get somnething complete that will satisfy your requirements.

There are some great bargain AVR's out there as well:$122
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecce/shop...ion~Detail.asp

There are some nice looking Denon AVR's at ecost as well for under $200.00 But I can't imagine buying and AVR without at least two speakers so you would at least have sound.

And maybe a pair of these: $139 per pair
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=298521

The beauty of this is you can just get another pair of the E30's in the future, and have a respectable 5.0 system running on 4 speakers.

And one of these and you have 5.1, pretty respectable performance: $139
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=25&rak=daysub

An entire Onkyo 770 system with a decent AVR, Powered Sub, and all speakers for 6.1 can be had at ecost for $340 so you can see what a value that system is.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Guys, since you're involved in model recommendations and such the thread has been moved to A/V Sources. Remember, Basics is for general discussion at the beginner level only.

Matt_Beals

Grip
If you search on ecost for onkyo 770 it gives 2 results. I'd post links, but for some stupid reason I'm not allowed.

Is the only difference being one is refurbished??

Also, is that onkyo reciever pretty high quality?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the AVR is a high quality AVR, well $300-ish high quality anyways.

AVR performance is defiently tied to price.

You have the around $200 to $400 crop, the $500 to $1000 crop, and the $1500 and over crop. These are street prices and exclude any really exceptional deals one may come across. But the performance seems rather on par between all the manufacturers according to price in my experiences.

My best buy pick these days for an AVR is the Yamaha 5890.

PS: Heck I missed the refurb deal. that is an absolute steal for that much system. You can order that right up, and almost make budget and be cranking out HT and music before you even thought possible.

John S

Senior HTF Member
PPS: They hose you a little on the shipping, but the over all cost is still amazing for all you get with that system.

The best part is the system is fully and easily upgradable. Most people like will sell off the sub, then replace it with the 12" $139 Parts express sub with very very little out of pocket expense.

Or they will by new fronts and move the existing fronts to rear surround duties, ect..ect..ect....

I have installed lots of these systems, and for the average person, they are generally blown away with this system, especially those that were considering Bose systems costing nearly 6 times as much.

Matt_Beals

Grip
well the refurb price was too good to pass up. Shipping was $70 but the box was the size of a small refridgerator and weighed 100 lbs so I can see it costing that much.

Anyway, I wasn't all that impressed until I got it dialed in and hooked up with the right cables. Dolby EX 6.1 is simply amazing. I can't wait to upgrade the wire to 16 guage. I think the first major upgrade will be the sub. For as inpressive as it looks, it doesn't thump all that great. Then I'll be getting a pair of towers to use as front channels. I rather like the satellite speakers compared to most small systems.

I did have to chuckle when I went to walmart to get some optical cable. They had a cute little sony 5.1 sony system for more then I paid for this beast.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well thanks for comming back and giving your impressions.

You sure get a lot for your money with the system. On the deal you got, there is almost no way to lose with it.

Play around with dialing that sub in some more, or try some different loactions in the room if you can. But you are right, probably the weakest point in the system. But for that price the fact you get a fully functional powered sub is amazing in and of itself.

That Dayton 12" for $138 is a way way winner on price -vs- performance and adds real well to this system.

Matt_Beals

Grip
yea, I found actually dialing in the speaker distances helped a ton and I got better performace when I dropped the crossover frequency.

I'm having trouble finding a good place for the sub. The wall it is on only hits one other wall which has about 5 inches of wall before hitting a sliding glass door that covers most of the wall. I'm not sure if the glass is limiting the reflex and killing the bass or not. I've noticed that the sub doesn't thump hard, but it's still smooth and clean. It's not overbearing at all, almost like the bass just melts into the rest of the sound. I'm also using the supplied subwoofer cable. Would I notice a big improvment in sound if I were to upgrade to a monster cable?

other then that i'm really impressed. the center left and right channels have good midrange. I love not having to rely on the sub for ALL the bass frequencies

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks