Slipshod way to calibrate a sub?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by PeterKurpiewski, Nov 1, 2003.

1. PeterKurpiewski

Heya all. I should be ordering my SVS 20-39 PCi soon and that'll leave my wallet drained for awhile, so I'm wondering how I can best calibrate my sub without buying an SPL meter/Avia or DVE right away. It'd prolly be a few weeks before I could afford either of the items (I'm still a poor highschool student with just a part time job!) but I'd like to get the best sound I can out of it until I can do a "proper" calibration. Suggestions, comments?

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

There isn't really a way to cheat this. The problem is that our ears are not the best at calibrating absolute levels.

My personal experience, after I bought the SPL meter is that the surrounds were about 3dB hot and the subwoofer was about 5dB hot. Anyway, that's what I found though you might prefer the presentation this way [​IMG]

Depending on where you're at in the Garden State you might find someone on the forum who'll be kind and loan you their meter to do the calibration.

Good luck.

Regards,

3. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

heres a pretty good way: play some music that has a full frequency range, like rock music. turn up the sub until it is clearly audible over the other speakers. now turn it down until you can't tell its playing. that should get you at least in the ball park.

4. PeterKurpiewski

Thanks for the tips. I might just have to scrape together left over lunch monies and stuff to grab some equipment. Also, question for SVS owners. Do the subs come with interconnects or do I need to buy one seperately?

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

You can use the "THX Optimizer" on any THX Certified DVD until you can get another calibration disk. You could also buy an SPL Meter from radio shack, calibrate your system, and return it when you're finished if you're not morally opposed.

If you move things around or from room to room very often having your own SPL meter and a good calibratoin disc can be priceless. Going from school to home to school to home (you get the point) has made the $30 for the SPL Meter and the $11 for the S&V Cailbration Disc (eBay) well worth it.

6. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

Get the meter and use the "free" test tones like Stephen recommended. It's next to impossible to use your ears at those frequencies. I know, I was running mine way to hot "by ear" for a while.

Gordon