What's new

Slings and Arrows on Sundance (1 Viewer)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I just got an email schedule from Sundance channel and the first episode of Season 3 will air at 8:00 pm Eastern time on February 18.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Just wondered how many of you were watching this series on Sundance Channel. From the lack of activity on this thread, it appears not too many people.

This was the third and final season of this great series. There was some definite closures in the final episodes that makes it clear that this is indeed the last of S & A. Seasons 1 and 2 are out on DVD, in case anyone is interested in this show. I assume Season 3 will be available in 6 months or so. If you haven't seen this show, I highly recommend you pick up the DVD sets, or wait and see if Sundance will rerun the series.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
It was another strong season that did a remarkable job of selling the aura of a brilliant performance at the end. For just a few excerpts and reaction shots, the result was moving.

The musical and the people involved in it got no redemption or forgiveness for their lack of erudition. Ha. Though I don't know how much this series can talk considering the tacked on wedding.;)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Very Shakespearean, don't you think? The conventional wisdom goes that tragedies end with a death and comedies end with a marriage. I had to laugh when I realized that Slings and Arrows was ending with both.

This series is a true cult favorite among theater people. A few months ago, I was at a dinner hosted by the artistic and executive directors of a local not-for-profit theater group (so, basically, Jeffrey and Richard's equivalents), and I happened to mention Slings and Arrows. The reaction was immediate and passionate. I learned that their number one favorite scene in the whole series is Richard's meeting with the Minister in season 2, when he's begging her for money and she's telling him all the truly humanitarian things she could do with the funds instead. The artistic director thought it was so hilarious that he actually sent the DVD to the NYC equivalent of the Minister, who proceeded to play the scene for his entire staff -- and they all roared.

A great end to a great series. I loved Ellen's foray into TV "acting".

M.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
True... I was going to mention how well comedy and tragedy were balanced and yet I didn't see the ending in that light.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I was thinking more of the "tacked-on" quality of the wedding. That often happens at the end of a Shakespeare comedy, especially with secondary characters.

Of course, Ellen and Jeffrey have been "star-crossed lovers" since the beginning, but they never had a chance until Oliver's ghost was finally laid to rest.

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Just a note for fans or people who might be interested in checking out this series:

On February 5, all three seasons will be released in a single set of 7 DVDs at a list price of $60. Amazon has it for $42. It's a big savings over the individual seasons (which I got as they came out :frowning: ), plus there's a bonus disc with additional cast interviews and behind-the-scenes material.

The series holds up well on repeat viewings. If anything, it's funnier.

M.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
That is a great deal. I had purchased each season as they were released and probably spent more than even the $60 list price. I highly recommend this series as a "blind buy" for those of who didn't get a chance to see any of it on Sundance.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
This is an old thread, but for fans of this series who might be interested, Acorn is releasing the entire series on Blu-ray with a street date of Oct. 26. There will be some new extras, notably a few episode commmmentaries.

I expect to have an HTF review.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I purchased all three seasons on DVD when they were originally released. I will wait for the review before I decide to purchase the BD versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks