Sling Blade SE?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jim Williams, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

I have searched this forum and have not found anything on this topic. Does anyone know if Sling Blade is scheduled to be re-released as a special edition anytime soon?

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

There have been no rumors whatsoever about this title. The current release is non-anamorphic, but decent. I would recommend picking it up if you don't own it.

3. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

Criterion released a special edition on laserdisc, but I never saw it. I'd hope that someday the extras from the Criterion LD would be ported over and married to a new, anamorphic transfer, but nothing has ever been reported re: this happening.

Vincent

4. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I posed this exact same question [rant]more than two years ago[/rant] (Sling Blade SE? ) and still not a word!

I guess it's time to break down and get the old, bare bones, non-anamorphic version.

5. Shane_Anthony

Shane_Anthony Stunt Coordinator

Billy Bob was quoted as saying he's not a big fan of dvd's or commentaries[​IMG]

6. Dave H

Dave H Producer

The current disc isn't that bad. It's non-anamorphic, but OAR and a decent transfer. Not a great transfer, but pretty good -- very watchable. I bought the disc at least two years ago and have watched it a few times since then. I'm glad I didn't wait because there is still no word about a SE.

7. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Second Unit

Billy Bob is on the "The Man Who Wasn't There" commentary...I'd be suprised if he wouldn't do one for the movie that made his career.

8. Jon Moss

Jon Moss Stunt Coordinator

If they do then I hope they include the "Some People Call it a Sling Blade" short film that Billy Bob Thornton made as a precursor to Sling Blade.

It's only 30 mins and you can view it on the web on various sites, but it would be a great extra! It was available on Laserdisc, but I'm not sure if it was part of the Criterion set.

9. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=56521

Success! It seems to have all the supplements from the Criterion laserdisc and some new ones too. I'd bet the three deleted scenes that were on the laserdisc have been put back into the film to create the new director's cut.

10. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

It's about friggin time!

As posted earlier in this thread, I already bought the bare bones non-anamorphic version as I got tired of waiting for this one. A double dipper for me for sure.

11. Bob clamer

Bob clamer Supporting Actor

The Miramax Collector's Series continues on June 7th with Sling Blade: Director's Cut. The two-disc set will feature a new anamorphic widescreen transfer, Dolby Digital 5.1, two audio commentaries (one ported over from Criterion's excellent laserdisc), "Mr. Thornton Goes to Hollywood" - the rise of Billy Bob and the evolution of Sling Blade, round table interviews/discussions with Billy Bob, Dwight Yoakam, Mickey Jones, Daniel Lanois, Larry Meistrich, Harvey Weinstein and Lucas Black, a still gallery, the "Swing Blade" parody and the four-minute short "The Return of Carl" (Carl makes a surprise appearance on the set of the film "Daddy and Them"). Retail will be $19.99.

12. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

The question was already answered in this thread here.