Sling Blade: Director's Cut - Special Edition - JUNE 7th

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Christopher*KH, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Christopher*KH

Christopher*KH Stunt Coordinator

From DVD ANSWERS.com
    Miramax Home Entertainment has announced a two-disc director's cut of Sling Blade which is written, directed, and stars Academy Award® winner Billy Bob Thornton. The film will be available to own from the 7th June this year, and should retail at around $19.99. As well as the director's cut of the film, the disc will include two audio commentaries (the original laser disc commentary and a newly recorded one), a Mr. Thornton Goes to Hollywood featurette on the rise of Billy Bob and the evolution of Sling Blade, round table interviews/discussions with Billy Bob Thornton, Dwight Yoakam, Mickey Jones, Daniel Lanois, Larry Meistrich, Harvey Weinstein and Lucas Black and a still gallery. The disc will also include two features entitled Swingblade and The Return of Carl, although it isn't clear what those actually are right now! Miramax hasn't yet released the artwork for this one, but we'll bring you that very shortly.

From DavisDVD
    The Miramax Collector's Series continues on June 7th with Sling Blade: Director's Cut. The two-disc set will feature a new anamorphic widescreen transfer, Dolby Digital 5.1, two audio commentaries (one ported over from Criterion's excellent laserdisc), "Mr. Thornton Goes to Hollywood" - the rise of Billy Bob and the evolution of Sling Blade, round table interviews/discussions with Billy Bob, Dwight Yoakam, Mickey Jones, Daniel Lanois, Larry Meistrich, Harvey Weinstein and Lucas Black, a still gallery, the "Swing Blade" parody and the four-minute short "The Return of Carl" (Carl makes a surprise appearance on the set of the film "Daddy and Them"). Retail will be $19.99.

2. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Mmmm....get me mine with some french fried tators.

3. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

Wow-
    With Back to the future, Star Wars, and Indiana Jones out, my Sling Blade Criterion was the last remaining LD that I would occasionally give a spin. Sounds like a great release, I can't wait! The commentary is pretty good from the LD too. John Ritter will be missed in the documentary.

Incidentally, "Swing Blade" is a very funny film short parody that imagines if Carl was the John Favreau character in "Swingers." If anyone has the "Goerge Lucas in Love" DVD, the Swing Blade short is also featured on this disc. Very funny spoof.

4. Christopher*KH

Christopher*KH Stunt Coordinator

Hopefully they'll do some sort of tribute to John Ritter on this S.E. Since they really do anything on BAD SANTA which was actually his last film.

But his performance in Sling Blade was un-real. I had to watch it over when I saw his name on the credits. I really didn't even realize it was him till after the film ended.

5. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

How are they going to do the laserdisc commentary on the new DVD? That commentary was recorded for (and syncs to) the Theatrical cut. Will it just have long periods of silence during the extended scenes?

-Lyle J.P.

6. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Nice

7. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

Has no one picked up this DVD yet? I would've thought someone would be talking about it by now. I bought it the other day and really like all the added footage sprinkled throughout the film. The best added scene being Doyle's run to the County Line. I haven't listened to the commentary yet, but have given the bonus disc a spin. It's got some very interesting interviews but, sadly, I didn't see anything relating to a tribute to John Ritter. Maybe I missed something.

8. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Haven't watched the feature yet, but the extras are outstanding. They crammed a lot of stuff onto one extra disc. It's not a completeists wet dream (what is?), but it's about as close as you can get without going to a super deluxe edition so to speak. And it only cost me 13 bucks at BB.

I got a big kick out of Mr. Thorton's opinion about a certain annual event. I won't say more.

If the video quality is halfway decent, it's an absolute blind purchase.

9. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

It's about as close as you can get without adding the freaking trailer found on the Criterion LaserDisc! Ugh, ugh and ugh...still a great release overall, but these are hard years to live through, being a non-theist Democrat who loves trailers above all other DVD extras...