What's new

Sling Blade:CE Reviews? Any Time Soon? (1 Viewer)

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
I know, I know, don't rush a good reviewer!
I thought I'd never be one to be anxious and 'get ahead of the game', but I LOVE this movie and would like to read a reputable review. I live very near (5 minutes away) where the majority of this was filmed and remember watching (from a distance) Billy Bob Thornton film the 'french-fried p'tater' scene in a now long gone locally-owned Dairy Queen. At the time, it was "Billy Bob WHO?" :D

Wellllll? :b

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
An outstanding film, with solid extras, and unfortunately the usual Miramax DVD visual quality. The good news about the image is that it's the best the film has ever looked on home video so far. Audio is fine, with some nice low end, a wide front soundstage, and very reserved use of the surrounds.

On the whole, I think the "original cut" presented on this new release is not as compelling as the theatrical version. The additional scenes and extensions - however interesting on their own - bog down the narrative more often than not IMHO.

The commentary is essentially ported from the Criterion laserdisc, with additional new comments from Billy Bob peppered throughout (usually during the "new" scenes).

The other extras are great, but the audio is sometimes dodgy - particularly during the roundtable discussion, where the four participants appear to be sharing one mike (and the one actor closest to it is about 4db louder than everyone else).

Still a solid package, and I believe certain B&M retailers have it for $12.99 this week. Can't go wrong with that!

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Already picked this up, but havent watched it yet. I am looking forward to checking this out as I held off all these years in picking up the non-anamorphic original release!

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Mike,
I held off on the non-anamorphic TOO long and had to shoot blind into Ebay for my copy late last year. I was going to have it regardless! And from one of those reviews, I'm glad that I'll have both in my possession. :emoji_thumbsup: :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

I agree, and the extended cut makes the film just a bit too long at nearly 2 and half hours, but damn, what a fine film it is. I wish this edition featured both versions.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I was going to purchase this but it's now being shown in HD at HDNET Movie channel.

I don't think I can ever go back to watch this film in any other presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks