Slim Goodbody's Good Bodies on DVD

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Tory, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
  2. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I thought they weren't on dvd because Slim Goodbody's been creeping kids out for about 30 years. For those who don't know who he is, he's (I think) a nutritionist who runs around in a pair of tights. And the pair of tights has a print of all the human body's internal organs on it. So he kinda looks like he has invisible skin. Geez. And he'll go up to kids and say "this is my pancreas! This is how my pancreas works! Here is how to care for my pancreas!" And I recall him guest-starring on all the kids' shows of the 70s, like Wonderama, and the kids in the studio audience were always like euwww...and their jaws would be dropped and their eyes squinted, looking at this strange naked man with his internal organs all on display. And I'm sure that over the years, many tiny tots have lost their lunch looking at the guy's colon and liver hanging there in graphic detail. But for the camp value alone, I'd probably buy the dvd series just to put them on during parties when everybody's stoned and all us kids of the 70s can get one more big EUWWW out of them!

3. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

I'm pretty sure they're price like that because they're not aimed at us 30-somethings to play for our entertainment: they're aimed at the educational market to play in schools.

Looks like they'll suceed with their business model. I can't see the average Joe paying that much for the nostalgia value.

4. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

oh god, here I thought that as a kid, I must've been on acid or something when we watched his videos in school

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Holy crap, I've gotta have those!

6. Tory

Tory
    I just e-mailed them and asked them to release this at a reasonable price for people like us and I mentioned The Electric Company DVD coming out now. They also have VHS of Square One Math Patrol and some Reading Rainbow. The main reason I started wondering about Slim on DVD is I dreamt I saw him now in some behind the music type interviews and he was still in the suit but wrinkly.

7. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    [​IMG]

In case you were wondering who Slim Goodbody is.

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Guys, you won't believe this, but I didn't watch this guy's videos in school. I watched HIM in my school! I can't recall if it was in New York City's public school system, or after I moved to Houston when I was almost ten. But it was probably NYC. But yeah, I remember him coming to my school, everybody in my grade getting together in the auditorium, and he showed us about the body and talked about being healthy and I remember the news cameras in the back of the auditorium, and sure enough on the news that night my mom saw the back of my head on the TV and went bananas. [​IMG]

I've seen and heard a bit of him over the years since then, but only on occasion and in bits and pieces. I can't believe he's still around. What is he, about 50 or 60 by now? Wow.

Hey, I just checked, and IMDB says he was on Captain Kangaroo, too! 1976-1980. Weird.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2014975/

9. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

I believe it - because I watched HIM in my school, too. He (or some other guy playing the character) came to my elementary school when I was in, probably, 2nd or 3rd grade. I totally forgot about him until this thread popped up. [​IMG]

10. Craig Sherman

Craig Sherman Stunt Coordinator

And let's not forget that this was all the inspiration for Conan O'Brien's character Slim Organbody. Like SG, but with three-dimensional organs pasted on the outside of the leotard. Apparently that's a condition Mr. Organbody suffers from, and not a costume.

What a poor man.

CS

11. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

He came to my school too but I think it was probably my middle school. And I remember thinking euwww is his spleen gonna fall out and go splot! on the floor of our gymnasium? And I was thinking, listen, dorkwad, we have to EAT in this "gymnasium," mister, don't ooze all over our mashed potatoes, m'kay?

12. Tory

Tory