Slightly OT: Need snack advice for Enterprise premier

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob McElfresh, Sep 23, 2001.

1. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Some High School buddies are coming over Wed night to watch Enterprise. Over the last 20 years, we have tried to get together to watch the premier of Star Trek: The Movie, STNG, etc. I'm drawing a total blank as to what kinds of snacks/food to have.
    I tried to get some "Romulian Ale" sold at the Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas. But the $40 case of beer costs $120 with shipping and handling (no joke) and although I love these guys, it's a bit much.
    So I'm not looking for futuristic foods, but just tasty, prepare-beforehand snack foods. (I'm handicapped by a year of dieting. I actually like Jickima sticks and raw suger-peas now. [​IMG] )
    I could go simple: Chips, dips, salsa, microwave popcorn, a good dark-ale.
    I could go a little up-scale: Baked Brie, baguette, cooked shrimp & cocktail sauce, antipasto tray (Salamie, olives, cheese, peppers), beer and wine.
    Note: I will be recording the show on my Dish recorder so it's no problem to pause the show for people to refill their plates, bio-breaks, etc.
    So guys, help me out with your favorite snack ideas.

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Go with a nice red wine.. which conjurs up good links with several episodes & films of trek, notably TNG's "Family"
    Kool-Aid that changes color is also a neat trick.. and reminiscent of the "fizzies" that Guynan served
    You can always go with Fish.. which was a joke in more then 4 episodes and one movie.
    After that, just go with normal crap. Too much wasted time being too-trek like. After all, the most common food served on any of the series was Chicken Noodle Soup.
    CW

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Marsh Melons and Beans&Bourbon
    Seriously though, I'm intrigued by this "baked Brie". What is it?

4. Dan Paolozza

Dan Paolozza Stunt Coordinator

Whatever you decide on, make sure there's wine. And toast to all of us who had to haggle and compromise with their wives just to lock down that precious prime-time hour of television. I managed to secure 2 per week, and the other hour is in jeopardy because it's on a more popular TV day (Tuesday). [​IMG]
    My constructive advice? Don't break you back over it. Go with cool drinks and normal foods, or the other way around. I think the fact that you're putting effort into the whole thing will make it memorable enough.

5. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I'm not having a party and I'm not going all Trekked out. But I will be enjoying some home made Buffalo Wings, my favorite finger food, while watching the much anticipated Enterprise.
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

He He. I wasnt looking for "trek" foods, just advice for munchies.
    Baked brie - this is the famous french "Stinky Cheese" sold in pie-wedges at the deli/cheese counter. You stick it under a broiler for a few minutes to get it hot & soft, then spread it on slices of bagguette (thin loaf of french bread). Goes well with wine.
    So I think I will go with this menu:
    • Chicken Wing platter - Safeway
    • Tortilla Chips, Guacmolie (sp?), salsa, or perhaps a 5-layer dip (low-fat Refried Beans mixed with salsa, layer of sour-cream, layer of Guac, layer of chopped black olives, top layer of shredded lettuce - in case the non-Californians want to know what this is).
    • Vegi Tray: Jickima, Sliced bell peppers, carrots, sugar-peas & Ranch dressing for a dip. (This is to balance the greasy/fatty foods with some high SAF (Spousal Acceptance Factor) items) [​IMG]
    • Drinks: Negria Modello dark ale, Pepsi, Pepsi One (diet), a bottle of my favorite Resling wine.
    Any thoughts on Desert? I could get a chocolate cake from the store, or perhaps I could get daughter 2of3 to make fresh Chocolate Chip cookies (these dont require plates/forks to eat). Any lighter suggestions?

7. DougWright

DougWright Stunt Coordinator

Dan
    Better start being nice to the wife now, the premiere is 2 hours and you need to lock down an extra hour.
    Myself, it will be wings and Coca-Cola, 2 standards that will not fade with time.
    Here's hoping the show is great!
    ------------------
    Doug Wright
    "I'm packing you an extra pair of shoes and your ANGRY eyes."

8. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Not to be the dull one, but Earl Gray Tea of course!

9. Dan Paolozza

Dan Paolozza Stunt Coordinator

Well, where Riesling and Brie strike me as an odd combo...chacun sont gout! (No accent keys, sorry).
    Man, I'm so hooped. I didn't know Enterprise was two hours...this is going to cost me.
    Anyone know some great flowers that are in season, which I can present to the wife for the premier of Enterprise? Or does that constitute a new thread?

10. Todd Hostettler

Todd Hostettler Second Unit

Mmm-m-m-mm-m... Tribble McNuggets...

11. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Mmmm...my Buffalo Wings were good! [​IMG] A little too hot though. I'll have to adjust the recipe. (I'm still experimenting.)
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]