What's new

Slightly OT... how deep does gamecube go? (1 Viewer)

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Santa brought my boys a Nintendo Gamecube for Christmas. The system it's playing on includes some DIY 3-ways with Vifa P17WJ woofers (don't ask why three-way... I had leftover midranges and I wanted to experiment... and yes, the crossovers were a total pain and probably cost more than the drivers). Anyway, the little vented boxes are good to about 55Hz. Does the Gamecube generate low enough information to justify a subwoofer? I'm thinking something in the 60 liter range with a PE plate amp. Suggestions for a not-too-expensive little sub?
Thanks
"No, boys... trust me... it's simply not possible to connect the Nintendo to the theater system..." ;)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I don't have the Gamecube, but my wife got me a PS2 for X-mas and I was playing Lord of the Rings last night and there were some scenes that had some decent bass to them. I would build one.. a cheap one even.. just to give the kids the total experience.
I built Link Removed for around $100 with some scrap MDF and it performs quite well for an 8" sub. The driver has doubled in price since I built it, however.

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Dave, just a question: Why don't you think that its a good idea to hook the gamecube up to the home theater system? Sound like that would be pretty sweet to me :D

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
It is really up to the developers of the game. There could be subsonic bass in any game on pretty much all the recent systems that I know of.

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
I have my PS2 hooked up to my HT. Sounds really good. Socom, Navy Seals is really good in DPLII. My wife and son were playing Dance Dance Revolution last night and the bass really had the place hopping. Even the crowd effects on my son's FIFA soccer game are fun in DPLII. Give it a try.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Hey Dave, just a question: Why don't you think that its a good idea to hook the gamecube up to the home theater system? Sound like that would be pretty sweet to me
Maybe, he doesn't want his children playing with his gear when he's not around. If you have several thousand dollars in gear, are you going to allow you children to invite the neighborhood kids over each day after school to push your gear to the max? I don't think so. Putting together a small sub with a couple of speakers for the children to use for their game cube seems like an economical insurance policy to me.

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Exactly Wayne.

Three reasons, really:
1) Possible damage to expensive high-end audio gear.
2) Extra hours and possible burn on CRT FP (also expensive).
3) Kids tying up the theater when someone wants to watch a movie (OK, call me selfish).

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll go ahead a build a little sub. Heck, I don't need much of an excuse to build more speakers. Ya know, come to think of it, my dad could also use some better speakers for his modest theater... maybe the AV-1 or AV-1+...

Dave

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
I have had a friend hook his gamecube up to my HT system and it really does have lots of sub-bass information. In fact, in games I think I would really appreciate the extra tactile rumble of the explosions and throobing bass in the music, as well as other effects the subwoofer would deliver.

Do this for a subwoofer: Use the Parts Express 120-watt plate amp and the 10" Ultimate shielded subwoofer that Parts Express has for $20. It should give your kids all the bass they will want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks