Slightly confused about Auto Flag Detect with AVR-3802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick P, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

Hello everyone. I finally set-up my 2 center surround back speakers and I want to make sure I understand the AFDM. The manual suggests setting it to "OFF". If I set it to off then do 6.1 discrete and 6.1 matrixed tracks play in their correct mode automatically? What about regular 5.1, does it send a matrixed signal to the surround back or is it simply the surround left and right channels being sent to both the surround speakers and the surround back speakers.
    What advantage, if any, is there to setting the Auto Flag Detect to "ON"? Please, any advice is welcomed and much appreciated.
    ------------------

2. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

It seems that you understand it correctly,and the manual is right.
    Just for the record there isn't any Dolby EX soundtrack out there yet,that has the flag.It is coming however soon.
    Also some of the DTS ES soundtracks don't have flag either[U-571,Pitch Black]comes to mind.
    There aren't any "advantage" IMO to select "on",because the the matrixed back surrounds, sounds "better" to me with many non encoded movies[non EX/ES],then just plain 5.1,or a dupped surround[backs reproduce the same as the sides].
    ------------------
    "You Hungarians always disagree"

3. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

4. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

Michael and Lewis,
    I guess what doesn't make sense as I read the manual is why wouldn't I want to receiver to automatically decode the 6.1 discrete and matrixed sound. But if I'm understanding correctly, even with the "AUTO DETECT" set to "OFF" the 6.1 material still plays as it should. The difference is when it comes to 5.1 material. In the "OFF" position I have to manually select "MATRIX" or "NON-MATRIX" with the remote whereas with "AUTO DETECT" set to "ON" that preference is stated ahead of time in the set-up menu. Am I right or still missing something?
    ------------------

5. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

6. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Just for clarification I don't believe U-571 was a DTS-ES soundtrack even though it was buttkicking.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection