What's new

Slight Geometry Problem with Panny 53WX42... (1 Viewer)

Dann B

Auditioning
I had one more question... the manual focus and e-focus, are they kinda like "Course" and "Fine" ? Do you have to do both? I've read you should do manual one first, and it seems pretty straight forward. I'm kinda scared to do the e-focus on the block up front because it says even 'bumping' that block can throw off your color pots which I really dont want to do. So, basically do you have to do e-focus? I'm hoping that I can focus some improvement just by doing it manually. Thanks for the insite.

Oh yea, while im the thread about my screen (actually I have 53WX52 - close enuff) My convergence seems to change by itself everyday.. its still fairly new about 2-3 weeks old. Is it always going to do that? Or does it not move as much after its broken in. Cuz like I said in my post above a repair man got it pretty close, now 4 days later it was off again and I hadnt messed with it, not even bumped the set.

Thanks!

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Dann B - You should give your set 100-150 hours to break in before doing convergence. The CRTs change quite a bit during the break in period. After the break in period, convergence will stick better. It'll still drift somewhat, but after doing it every so often it'll learn to stay put. (at least that is what i've read, and that is what has happened on my set)

I would definitely do E and M Focus. I too was worried about bumping a screen pot doing the E Focus. Once I got in there and looked at the focus block, I noticed there was glue on BOTH the screen and focus pots. So it would seem to me even if you bumped it on accident it wouldn't move, but you CAN NEVER BE TOO CAREFUL. Have a flashlight handy and just look before you touch. It really does make a world of difference. I did the E Focus first, then the M Focus, then followed it back up with an E Focus again. This has been debated back and forth on the panny.tv site. As always, only do what you are comfortable doing. Good luck.

Leif Wall

Second Unit
As for my light on the side of the tv... I've read about doing the user convergence 1 to get rid of it, but you'd think you could just take care of it in the service menu. I can also say that because of the light, or maybe not, 4-6 inches of the left side of my screen seem a little brighter then the rest of the tv. Would this be an indication of a more serious issue? I'd like to know what an ISF tech thinks about this as well. Michael, Gregg, anybody??? :)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I just tried to fool around with the service convergence myself...and I must say, I'm not the man for the job ;)
If any ISFs are going on any Midwest tours...let me know, I might be willing to pay after all :)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Alright, I decided to give it another shot tonight, and I did much better. The picture looks a great deal better, except I'm still having a problem with one geometry error. In the middle of the image there is ~1" area that seems to squish the image. It is very visible when watching rolling credits on movies. The problem is it's a hard thing to "eyeball" on the convergence grid. Is there anything that anyone can suggest that might help...or do I need to find one of the paper grids?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks