What's new

Slight Geometry Problem with Panny 53WX42... (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
My Panny was delivered last Wednesday, and I've been sitting around enjoying it since then...but today when I was playing the doc on the Halloween DVD, I noticed a little geometry error in the bottom left corner. I'll try to demostrate:

---------------------
|
|
|
|
(
---------------------

As you can see it curves a little outward at the bottom. It's hard for me to tell whether this carries through the whole bottom, or if it is just on the left side. It is the most noticable when I put the TV in 4x3 mode.

If this is just a normal geometry problem, and something that I've got to live with, that is fine...and I can live with it, but is it something that I should be concerned with?

Thanks...

Robb_JR

Auditioning
Yeah I've had mine about a month and in 2.35:1 aspect ratio movies, the top bar bows downward in the middle and is very annoying. Not sure if I should make a warranty call or not.
Using your good idea to demonstrate, it looks like this:
I'd say it dips, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

-----------------______________________------------------

Lastly, watching movies in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio, there is this "clear line", (even sometimes colored near the upper left corner), running the whole length of the screen right below the top bar, and right above the bottom bar. Normal?

Not to handy with TV's, I've done both menu convergences to the best of my ability, and that's it.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Luckily I haven't noticed a problem like that, otherwise I would probably flip. My problem still isn't big enough for me to return the TV, but I would like to know if it's just a normal run-of-the-mill geometry error, or if it's something I should be worried about.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Sounds like run of the mill stuff ... nothing a service level convergence could not fix up.

Regards

Robb_JR

Auditioning
Is this something an ISF Calibrationist could fix up also?
I's love to have this set done. Anyone know any in the Central NY. Syracuse/Albany area? I can't find one anywhere.

Robb_JR

Auditioning
Well, I called Panasonic about the problem and they sent a service guy over. He came from one of the bigger and more popular repair centers around. He saw the problem and did agree it wasn't a TV problem. Needed a little tweaking. He proceeded to go into the service menu and fumble around for 20 minutes, I could tell he wasn't to comfortable with what he was doing. I even heard a few quiet "whoa, I better not do thats" under his breath. yikes.

When he was done I still saw the problem, he said it was much better, but it wasn't. And at that point I just agreed with him to get him to stop playing with my set. So the problem still remains.

I asked him if he ever heard of ISF calibrations. He said "yes". I asked if any one near me did them. He said no, and not to waste my time. He said they were a total waste of time, and a big home theater money maker right now.
He said I'd lose the settings within a couple months and that the human eye wouldn't be able to tell the difference in the adjustments anyway.

I almost wanted to point him to this forum for some training, but I didn't.
From what I read here, I have to beleive they are worth it.
oh well, if the TV isn't broken I guess I'll live with it. Don't want anymore local servicemen....

Ming Wang

Agent
Robb, your problem should be solved fairly easily through 64-point geometry and convergence. you can't do it through user menu convergence because it doesn't do geometry (i.e., can't move green light).
go to panny.tv and download the service menual, follow instruction in it... it's not hard, just need "waste" a little time :)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Ming,
I was going to do the 64 pt convergence myself...but before I dl the Service Menu from panny.tv, I was wondering...is the stuff on that side for the WX49 series, or the WX42 series? I don't want to go tweaking unless I'm sure it's for the right TV.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
He said I'd lose the settings within a couple months and that the human eye wouldn't be able to tell the difference in the adjustments anyway.
This is why I will never never never dare call for a regular service tech to come work on my TV. It's like "service", as delivered on behalf of big companies, is completely dead in this day and age. Be it buying a TV, a car or a computer.

All the smart, enterprising and skilled technical people either must be working in independent businesses such as doing ISF calibrations, or working in other fields..

Matt, call Gregg Loewen. I say this not because I think he's better than any of the other ISF calibrators, I say it because I have the exact same TV as you do and he did a hell of a job on it. I've watched about 5 or 6 movies now since he was here and I'm more impressed each time. There were huge problems with the grayscale on my TV that made everything look like mud. It wasn't very sharp. It pushed blue at some times and red at others. But to my eyes it looked OK. But now that it's done, I'm just stunned by the difference. For someone to say there's no visible difference pre and post ISF cal is nuts, especially with the Panasonics.

Set aside the dough for Gregg to come out. The Pannys vary widely in calibration out of the factory. Not only do they appear to be way off, it appears to be pretty random as to -what- is way off on each TV. There's stuff that needs to be checked and addressed that a hobbyist just can't do without training and equipment like a color analyzer.

I've been trying to hold back on just gushing over the quality of Gregg's work because I wanted to give it at least a couple of weeks to see if I still felt the same, but after watching LOTR and Fast and Furious today, and now reading your post, I gotta say it now.

If I could post more pictures to emphasize the differences I would, but pictures don't do it justice. Colors like dark grays look -completely- different. Before calibrbation, it was Gandalf the Navy Blue. Now he looks like Gandalf the Grey, as he should. And something else I've noticed is that colors are much richer and more vibrant, yet the saturation level is -lower-, there's no blooming. The quality is "more film like" to say the least.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Set aside the dough for Gregg to come out.
I understand, but the fact of the matter is that I don't have the money at this time. The TV set me back quite a bit...and I don't exactly have major income, as I'm a 20 year old college student. I'll get an ISF cal when I can...but for that time being I'd just like to know if the service convergence instructions @ the panny.tv site is for the x49 series or the x42 series.

Ming Wang

Agent
The service manual you can download at panny.tv is for wx49 I believe. however, at least for the convergence part, I think it's 100% same for wx42. I followed it and did it on my 53wx42 without any problem.

however, for wx42 the other values (brightness etc.) are not same as people listed on the site for wx49.

Robb_JR

Auditioning
I Emailed Gregg to come out and do my set about a month ago. But I'm kinda in the same boat as Matt, just can't do it right now. It would have been about 3 hours both way travel time and I just don't have $600-700+ dollars for it. Hopefully some time next year. Definitly if he comes through this way and the travel costs get lowered. I'd LOVE to see what he could do to this set. Dang....

Anyway, maybe I will try the 64 point convergence some Saturday. I asked about this problem over at the Panny board and they said the same thing. Do some of the tweaking myself. Even though I can't touch what an ISF guy could do. Thanks for the responses guys.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
It's definitely not cheap, but it's absolutely worth it.

Do the E-focus and if you're comfortable the M-focus and then the 64 point convergence..

I was going to do the 64 pt convergence myself...but before I dl the Service Menu from panny.tv, I was wondering...is the stuff on that side for the WX49 series, or the WX42 series? I don't want to go tweaking unless I'm sure it's for the right TV.
the procedure is the same as far as i know for the convergence. just be careful and write anything down. the color/brightness adjustments for the wx49 don't apply for this year's stuff, though. just use VE or Avia to get that as best as allows.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Why exactly are the E-focus and M-focus. I have Convergence 1 and Convergence 2...are these the same things?

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
no, e-focus and m-focus are electronic and manual focus of the lenses. you'll see instructions for both under "known tweaks" on panny.tv

they don't seem to be that difficult as long as you're very deliberate and careful..

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Oh...okay, thx for the explanation.

I'll probably try these next weekend, if I can find the time.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I've done the E Focus and M Focus on my set, and they don't take long at all. For E Focus, I'm talking like a couple minutes. They will both make a world of difference. As will a 64 point convergence. That will take a lot longer, but is WELL worth it.

Do not give up on this tv. Mine (53wx42) looks light years better then when I first got it. I'm in the middle of watching Hannibal right now and it looks just plain awesome. Blacks are an abysmal black, colors are vibrant, and the picture is ultra sharp.

The only issue that I have is some some light on the very left of the screen that runs from top to the bottom. I was told this was possibly an underscan issue. I've tried and tried and tried to fix this in the service menu, but it just won't go away. Thankfully I only notice it when looking at it from a foot or two away.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
leif, you can fix that by going to convergence 1 and moving the picture over slightly to the left (moving the green cross will shift the picture). at least that's what it took on my TV. you'll need to tweak your overall convergence again but it's worth it to make that bright edge go away.

Ming Wang

Agent
on my set, I found the focus was quite good out of box. but geometry was a mess... once entering the fine convergence mode, almost none of the lines were straight.

Dann B

Auditioning
Hi again... my set too had some pretty nasty convergence probs right out of the box. I called panasonic warranty and they sent out a local repair guy to check it out. As I suspected, he pulled out a copy of the service manual, went in to service mode and did a half-assed job of doing the convergence. It was pretty far off... the bottom right corner was as much as 1/4" - 1/2" off, it was so plain to see on the grids. He didnt mention anything about focus, and then he left. A couple days later I went back into the service menu because I didnt think he did a good job. I didnt even have the service manual in front of me and I got it just about perfect. After messing with all the options that the fine convergence has to offer... im pretty convinced you can fix just about any convergence problem in there. My problem only seems to be with the red gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks