What's new

*slight* disappointment with Samsung MS-650 + W700 Sub, opinions / options? (1 Viewer)

walkie

Auditioning
Real Name
James W
Hello,

I post *slight* as it by no means bad and I am not sure if my expectations were just too high. However....

I had a Logitech Z-5500 surround sound for many years before in my old setup and (especially for the money) and honestly I found it excellent, it was loud, punchy and the sub sank so low and deep. It was bitter sweet getting rid of it but after 10 years and getting a new TV I knew it was time to upgrade.

I expect the Samsung combo to blow it out the water but honestly it never quite has. The sub doesn't ever seem to come alive and I have moved it relentlessly around the room, it is punchy and can pick out some low notes but it never has that feeling of your ears vibrating with bass. Is this because the logitech was ported and I think the Bose looks to be too? The clarity of the sounder is fantastic but the loudness and 'surround' feel is lacking at times.

When I was shopping around I was really impressed with the sound demo of the Bose Soundtouch 300 & sub and was adamant that was the combo for me, I didn't want to purchase the Sono's as every man and his dog has one (probably with good reason retrospectively thinking) and the reason for the Samsung purchase - despite never hearing it before was I had just bought a Samsung Q7 65" (which I adore)

So my question is this (I guess)

Should I have gone with the Bose, would the sub sing a little more? Should I have gone with the Sonos? Was I expecting too much from a soundbar and perhaps I was better suited with a more traditional surround sound 5.1 system? Is my setup wrong?

My budget is about what I've already spent, any suggestions, experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It’s news to me that speakers have a 10-year shelf life.

Lesson learned: Never, never, NEVER buy any speaker system without hearing it first.

It’s good that you’ve heard the Bose rig, but Bose has been known to “tweak” their demo setups. Make sure whoever you get it from has a generous return policy.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

SJMaye

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Hi Walkie- I had the same issue. i had used Logitech Z906 speakers with my HTPC for years. I decided to get a Samsung soundbar and subwoofer due to a cleaner setup with less wiring. I was very disappointed. Enough so that I got rid of the soundbar.

Totally agree with Wayne- Don't let the reviews tell you which sound best. You have to hear them on your own.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks