Sliding doors?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GaryM, Apr 2, 2001.

1. GaryM

GaryM Agent

Jul 19, 2000
    I need to build a 12' section of soundproof wall to partition off my Home Theater space (the former front room). The layout is such that double sliding doors that disappear into the doorjambs would work best, because I don't want the doors to swing into the entry space or out into the room. I've seen prehung units such as this at the local home center, but these of course are made for 2X4 stud walls without soundproofing. Making this wall 6-8" thick is not an issue, if that's what is required. Has anyone built such a partition before, and what were the construction details?
    Also, what type of door (solid versus hollow core) is the best in this application?
    PS - Although I've never built a Home Theater, I have some experience remodeling two earlier homes, including constructing partitions and installing prehung doors and windows, and finish carpentry.
  2. Brett Robert

Brett Robert Agent

Nov 12, 2000
    Solid is better. It will stop the bass better. I have seen a few people use pocket doors. From what I have seen they added weather striping also.
    Champagne tastes with a beer budget
    My HT