What's new

Sliders Season 4 Finally Arrives on DVD (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Hell yeah.

This is one of my favorite seasons of the entire series, finally returning the show to its original, fascinating "alternate history" roots, which is all the more miraculous considering the utter trainwreck that was Season 3.

That season boasted several very good episodes early on (produced while Tracy Tormé was still with the series), but soon degenerated into pure "movie-ripoff-of-the-week" horseshit once the FOX executives completely eliminated all creative control the writers once held over the show.

About effing time. Getting the show away from FOX was the best thing they ever did (at least for a year or so), and actually hiring real prose science-fiction writers for these last two seasons made a huge difference in the show's flavor.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Mayve we'll get even more lucky and Universal will do a movie that wraps up the cliffhanger that ended the series ...

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I can't recall the whole season very well, but wasn't this season all Kromaggs, Kromaggs, Kromaggs with a couple of 'regular' alternate world episodes thrown in? Because that was what made me decide against picking this up long before any announcements.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
At least we're getting that much closer to having the whole series out on DVD. Just one more season left and maybe Universal won't wait for another ten years to release the next season.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Don't expect the fifth and final season to be released until around 2010, if Universal's track record is any indication.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
This is great news! My jaw just about hit the floor when I saw this article on TVShowsonDVD.com. I was glad to see the Kromaggs return this season and in a more substantial role, my only complaint was Wade was missing :frowning: and I didn't care too much for the fate of her character. I'm definitely going to pick this up and, so far, I don't have any other planned purchases in March.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Keep in mind, though, that the Kromaggs were created by Tracy Tormé, and were originally intended to become a major component of Season 3, before the FOX Network screwed things up on that front.

I've also heard it mentioned from various sources that a good chunk of what we got in Season 4 is what would've occurred in S3, in broader structural terms -- the Kromagg invasions, the search for their homeworld, et cetera. When Tormé declined to rejoin the show in S4, due to the presence of David Peckinpah, Marc Scott Zicree and Bill Dial picked up that storyline from where Tormé originally intended, and the series continued almost as if the third year never even happened (barring that One Small, Tiny Little Thing™, obviously).

Too bad two of the main cast members left the series during that interregnum, but S4 still ended up making a Maggie-fan out of me, which was no small task, and was the absolute utter last thing in the world I would've imagined right when Season 3 was drawing to a close on FOX. Getting Sliders away from them was -- for at least a season -- perhaps the best thing that ever happened to the show since Season 2.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
In my opinion, the PTB screwed the series up when Jerry O'Connell, John Rhys-Davies and Sabrina Lloyd left the series. Tracy Torme did a wonderful job but the people in charge of the direction of the series screwed up the series as well as leaving the series finale wide open with no apparent conclusion.

It also begs to question about the often talked about Sliders movie in which Jerry O'Connell stated that he was open to appearing in the movie version.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Another thing, re: the Season 4 DVD:

Although supplemental features on these releases have been sort on the thin side (the first set had a pilot commentary and a "making of" doc, whereas Season 3 only had that year's Gag Reel), in the case of S4, there was the rather good "Making of Sliders" documentary that aired on the Sci-Fi Channel in the summer of '98, the night the new season premiered.

It was really quite good, with interviews with the new showrunners (Marc Scott Zicree and Bill Dial) and the cast, and from what I recall contained some pretty frank and candid assessments of Season 3, and what they hoped to fix during Season 4. Still have it on tape, and you'd think -- since Universal also owns Sci-Fi -- that it wouldn't be a huge issue to license it and include it in this release.

There was also a S4 Gag Reel, so I suppose time will tell.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
No wonder Season 4 and Season 5 sucked. Sci Fi may have ended up saving money in the short term, but in the long term, it cost them. If the producers would have stuck to the original cast, the series could have gone the full fife or maybe even seven.

As it stands today, fans hate the producers for the debacle that became of the series. The best episodes were Seasons 1-3, up to where they landed on the Earth in the episode "Exodus."

Duane Alford

Second Unit
I never watched the show on ox, but got hooked after catching reruns of Season 4 on SciFi (I never saw any of the Season 4 Kromagg episodes though). I caught some of a Season 5 episode, but when I saw some guy taking over Jerry O'Connell's role, plus Kromaggs galore, I changed the channel. I have no interest in Season 5, but if it comes out and the reviews are good, I might blindly buy it. I can hardly wait for Season 4 though.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

If Kromaggs were so offputting, then you might want to re-think your anticipation of season 4. They're the sole reason I'm passing on this release, because I hated the entire Kromagg storyline in seasons 4 and 5.

Don3996

Agent
Real Name
Don
Not really season 4 only related, but i just picked up the season 1/2 set and for some reason...the opening theme song seems different..was it replaced? I remember a voice over the Sliders title whispering "sliders" too.

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
From what I recall, they changed the theme music each season. After the third season, they did only a slight change for the fourth season and kept that for the fifth as well. So, you'll probably hear the theme music you expected to hear in seasons 3-5, but nothing was replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks