What's new

Slider Season 3, where is it? (1 Viewer)

Martin_KA

Agent
Whats going on with Sliders season 3?
has anyone heard anything about this? I really want to get this set, the show gets crazy in its third season.

Eric_R.

Stunt Coordinator
How were the sales of the first set? Its pretty expensive. If there weren't many people who bought the first set they may interpreate it as a lack of interest.

I have yet to buy the set because its still too expensive to me.

Martin_KA

Agent
I bought the set and I have to say its worth it. The stories are good. Especially the episode 'the young and the relentless'.

it's good sci-fi fun

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator
I hope they go ahead with seasons three to five of the show. I don't have details of the sales figures for Seasons 1&2 but presumably the R1 sales weren't too bad as they went ahead with an R2 release (for Seasons 1&2 only - so far). Other shows with poorer R1 sales tend not to get released here.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Just some words of caution: SLIDERS became a mess in its third season. It was a rough start for the beautiful Capt. Maggie Beckett when Kari Wuhrer joined the cast about 2/3 into the season, around the time of the death of Professor Arturo in part 2 of her introduction. Her character was rather bitchy at first, although she mellowed by becoming more of a "team player" in the far superior 4th season (the first produced for the Sci-Fi Channel).

The third year really fell apart long before John Rhys-Davies quit the show, however. The main problem of the writing was the increased shift away from the parallel worlds theme and meeting your double that made the series what it was, and instead focusing on horror (Earths with man-eating plants under the sand as in the movie "Tremors", Quinn almost becomes a vampire, Maggie is possessed by a parasitic creature that craves sex, an "Island of Dr. Moreau" Earth, etc). It's no wonder low ratings caused FOX to cancel the show. These problems were also corrected by the following season.

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator

I agree with your comments and personally I hated the whole Kromagg idea that the series wasted so much time on over the third season. But I'd still like to see the rest of the show on DVD as there were some real gems mixed in with the, err, less good, stuff.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I am waiting for season 3 to be announced too... Other then the package I loved the first set! I know most ppl didn't like the later seasons... but I personally would get every season they release.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
When the show became the monster of the week and made the Kromaggs it lost it for me. The show had the coolest premise...take Earth and change it. Either suddelly or radically. And they ruined it.

Regarding Arturo are we....
Are we sure the real one died? Remember when the
"fake" one tried to join the team. The lept. And then you see Arturo say something like "uh-oh". So if they do a reunion movie. They could just forget what happened to him or use this as to how they bring him back.

Cory B

Grip
If you read any of the stuff here about John Rhys-Davies and Sabrina Lloyd, I think you'll see that a reunion will never ever happen. But yeah, it's possible it wasn't the original Arturo... :)

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Interesting article. Too bad there was so much negativity surrounding the show. The show was for the FANS. Seems like egos got in the way...

I would also like the remaining seasons released on DVD and am also wondering what is the holdup.

And hopefully there can be a Sliders movie to wrap things up. Heck, use ALL of the characters, not just the first four (although most would probably say they were the best).
-

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Cleavant Derricks, who played Rembrandt "The Cryin' Man" Brown, was the only actor to stay with the show for the entire 5 years of production.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
I stopped watching after Season 2. For some reason I couldn't find it on TV anymore. I tried to watch it in reruns a few years later but I was confused with Quinn's brother appearing out of nowhere and then there was no Quinn, instead there was this other guy.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I hope they put the one episode that aired out-of-order in the proper order because:
They aired an episode with Aturo after he died.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I remember that episode, David. It was the one based on Tremors that had the Sliders on a word demoniated by giant man-eating worms that lived under the sand. It probably won't be out of order on the discs, but even if it is it doesn't matter. They're not tapes -- they're DVDs. It's not hard to jump ahead or back to the correct disc. Just remember that "Paradise Lost" comes before the "Exodus" 2-parter, and you're good to go! :)

Jeff#

Screenwriter

Robert Floyd joined the cast playing sort of a double of Quinn (I won't give the rest away if you haven't seen it), and Tembi Locke a scientist named Diana. Tembi's acting was as horrible as 1/2 the scripts that year, although Floyd did an workmanlike job as Mallory. Rembrandt and Maggie were there to the end, but it wasn't the same show as it once was. SLIDERS had an amazing series finale cliffhanger that was never resolved. Production ended in 1999, although the last show didn't air in the USA on the Sci-Fi Channel until 2 years later.

JohnAP

Second Unit
The third season took some dives when it did episodes shamelessly based on movies, like Tremors or The Island of Dr. Moreau, but I still really enjoyed the season and I think there were many good episodes. Losing the doctor near the end of the season is the big hit. The four original castmembers had such great chemistry even in the occassional dud episode and they never really recaptured that. The fourth season might be worth owning, though my interest started to wain that year. As for the fifth season, well the episodes I saw were just a convoluted mess. Jerry O'Connell was gone, but his mind was in someone else and his brother disappeared and there's Kromaggs and and evil doctor or something? I think I definitely won't buy that set and instead pretend it never happened. I love the SciFi channel for trying to save a good show, but without the characters I loved, it just wasn't worth it. I know there was talk at one point about putting together a movie, but I honestly don't know how they could do a movie that could easily explain and resolve where the series had got itself by the end to anyone who hadn't watched diligently, let alone had never seen the show, unless the movie took place before the death of Arturo.

Martin_KA

Agent
I stopped watching the show halfway through season four. Once I tuned into an episode from the fifth season and saw two new faces, I couldn't get into it. But I would buy all the sets just to complete the series.

Jeff#

Screenwriter

The one thing about the Kromaggs that didn't quite work for some viewers was that their uniforms closely resembled Nazi uniforms from WWII. However, it made sense to those of us who realized that the Nazis were basically just as bad -- if not worse than the Kromaggs.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

I rather see the episode on the DVDs before Exodus (ione time where airing order should be broken). Actually I'm talking about the episode "The Last of Eden" (A Time Machine rip-off episode) that aired as the third episode after Exodus Part 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks