Slide out component rack

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MarkBowles, Sep 20, 2004.

1. MarkBowles

MarkBowles Extra

Hey guys,

Working on my HT and would like some recommendations on the component rack. How many of you have any kind of slideout metal rack that allows rear access? If so what brand and what kind of cost? Any home-made stuff?

Thanks,

Mark

2. Felix_H

Felix_H Stunt Coordinator

If you get a rack with removable spikes on the bottom, just change them to casters.

3. anth_c

anth_c Stunt Coordinator

Mark,

Are you talking about a in-wall rack that slides out, or as Felix said, just a piece of furniture with casters on it?

For in-wall racks I would recommend the products by Middle Atlantic www.middleatlantic.com

Smart Home sells their gear: http://www.smarthome.com/8741s.html

Just the pullout rack including track and stand is $1000 (you should be able to find a cheaper price), but in my experience, you will end up spending another $500 or more by the time you end up buying shelves, blank panels, and other accessories.

Middle Atlantic also sells a lighter duty version that runs $400:
    http://www.smarthome.com/8746srxx.html

www.avrak.com also makes a similar product:
    http://www.avrak.com/eas/avtrak/still.html
    Their units start at about $850

Regards,
    Anthony

4. MarkBowles

MarkBowles Extra

Hey guys thank for the reply's.

Anthony,

The 8746 at Smarthome was the one I was looking at. What do you know about? Know anyone who has it?

Thanks,

Mark

5. anth_c

anth_c Stunt Coordinator

Mark,

I don't have any personal knowledge of their slide out racks. However, I have seen a lot of the slide out racks in the old Audio Video Interiors magazine...these installations tend to be super high-end in mult-million dollar homes. I do have all of my gear in a conventional Middle Atlantic Slim 5 rack. All of their stuff is well made.

The only concern I would have is that the capacity is limited to a maximum of 20 rack spaces. I'm not sure how much or what type of gear you have (separate amps vs. a receiver, multi-room, etc), but it's something to consider.

I would also recommend that you get the slide out cable carrier. At 25% of the cost of the rack, I know it's a little pricey, but it will save you headaches down the road.

Kept us posted...I'd like to see some pictures of your install.

Anthony

6. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit