What's new

SLEUTH on DVD????? (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Mike Frezon said:
I like a guy who thinks big. Here I am thinking of a piddlin' SD release...
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Well, if I mention the R2 SD release again, you're just going to yell 'PAL speed-up' at me...

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
"You're a jumped up pantry boy who doesn't know his place!"
Love Sleuth, the original 1972 version (piss on the remake). I've got the R2 dvd but if I remember the picture quality was a little on the shite side, the sound wasn't much better either. Next time I buy it will be in hi-def, assuming it gets a better release and I get into that other format by the time it does. ;)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
er let's see - here we are - Sleuth - it's... Anchor Bay, any extras - 23min featurette and photo gallery. Dolby stereo my arse, was it stereo?
So was the Paramount better than John, did I buy the wrong one?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I unloaded my AB disc when I heard a new one was coming, but I haven't dipped again in the vain hope of a BD release. However, Paramount claim the latest (barebones) disc is "presented in a sparkling new widescreen transfer created from original vault materials."

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I finally bit the bullet and rented, this weekend, the copy of Sleuth which has been taunting me on the shelf of my local rental place for years.
It has been years since I had seen it (probably 25+). Loved it. My wife (who saw it with me ages ago) and even my 19-year old son loved it...only complaining slightly about the early 70s cinematic techniques. /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif
Would I still like to own a copy? You betcha.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Blockbuster s version of Netflix has this available to rent but it is currently on short wait.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Wasn't the 1972 "Sleuth" a 20th Century Fox release? And was never in stereo -- I have that R1 release and it is beautiful and have played it many times.
A masterpiece compared to the remake (like most remakes in the last 20 years, misguided and misfired, sorry that it was Harold Pinter's last credit)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Brian McP said:
Wasn't the 1972 "Sleuth" a 20th Century Fox release? And was never in stereo -- I have that R1 release and it is beautiful and have played it many times.
Fox released it, but it was a service arrangement with Palomar Pictures and their parent company Bristol-Myers-Squibb. Viacom has had a longstanding relationship with BMS regarding their film library, and at last check Paramount has the DVD rights for SLEUTH, which they have released in R2 but not stateside since the previous Anchor Bay DVD went OOP.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Every time I see that remake in Big Lots I look a little closer.... just in case. :( I guess I should just stop doing that. I'd love getting this for my mystery loving mom. We rented it years ago on VHS and loved the hell out of it. Ridiculous it's not avail to buy.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
[subliminal message] Licence to Olive Films......... Licence to Olive Films......... Licence to Olive Films.........Licence to Olive Films.........[/subliminal message]

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, I have this on DVD, it's an Aussie NTSC "All Region" release and it is stocked by Amazon here in the states. So, no PAL issues or anything like that and will play on any US player like any other US intended disc. I apparently purchased it back in 2017 according to my Amazon history for $8.00. It is still in stock at Amazon for $14.59. If you want the film this is an excellent option. I am not sure if it will appear on blu but probably if it does an Australian release is probably most likely but when that may be who knows.

Slueth.jpg

Slueth 2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks