What's new

SLEUTH on DVD????? (1 Viewer)

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Why can't "Sleuth" (1972) seem to stay in print on DVD for any length of time? This is my favorite film with Michael Caine, and there have been a couple of DVD releases in the last several years, but they seem to go out of print before I can get one. The used copies sell for insane prices.

Anybody know anything about an upcoming re-release?

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Considering that a remake is due to begin shooting soon (with Jude Law and Michael Caine, directed by Kenneth Branagh), I'm betting this movie will find a re-release sometime in 2007.

I, also, love this movie and would snap up the DVD if one of quality were released.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I loved this movie when I saw it in a theater in 1972 but like some other movies with many twists and turns, it has little repeat viewing potential for me. I have never seen it since. Why it has such limited runs when released on DVD isn't clear though. It will definitely be released if the 2007 film is well received and maybe even if it isn't. I expect the 2007 version to be a bomb.

Chris

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I loved this movie when I saw it in a theater in 1972 but like some other movies with many twists and turns, it has little repeat viewing potential for me. I have never seen it since.
I agree that movies with a "twist ending" (Sleuth, Sixth Sense, Inside Man, et al) do not hold up to repeat viewings. However, I really enjoy the performances in the film enough (particularly Olivier's) to have a look every now and then just for that.

I have a rather poor flipper DVd of Sleuth that I bought in 1999 or so. Don't think I've watched it more than once.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I actually like seeing these films with twists many times to savor the performances and the clues (if any) planted along the way to assist the viewer in guessing surprises.

In the case of SLEUTH, there is also John Addison's highly enjoyable score.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
This is the first I've heard about a remake. I'm guessing Caine will be playing Olivier's part, and Law will play Caine's...? I'm not really that fond of remakes, in general.
For me, it's held up pretty well for repeat viewings. I first saw the film when I was very young, and there were some things I didn't understand until I saw it several more times (when I was older). I discovered new things every time I watched it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I see no need for a remake. The film can't be bettered in my opinion. Great actors, a great director, a script that moved the actors around as much was sensible for the talkiness of the play. And that spritely score by John Addison.

I agree with the above poster who doesn't think the new one will succeed.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Mostly agreed, but it might be fun to see Caine doing Oliver's part.
Hell, it's always fun seeing Caine do anything! :)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I wouldn't be surprised if John Addison's spritely score gets used in the remake (a la Scorsese's use of the original Cape Fear score in his remake of the same).

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Branagh consistantly uses Patrick Doyle as his composer, and Doyle has a lot of the same energy and wit that Addison showed in the original film. Even if the original score isn't necessary quoted, the new film will probably have a similar tone and pacing. Doyle is a wonderful composer.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm sure the filmmakers will do a splendid job with the material since they're all so talented. I just don't understand the need to invest money in something that we already have such a wonderful film of. I'd rather see a story I don't already know inside out.

I wouldn't be in favor of remaking THE CRYING GAME or THE SIXTH SENSE either, two other films with twists that were done well the first time around.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Matt, the remake seems pointless to me as well. The material isn't Shakespeare, open to dozens of interpretations.
I wonder if there will be a remake of Deathtrap as well?

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I don't understand the need for constant re-makes, either. Can we not still enjoy a film that is more than 10 years old? It's stupid.
Speaking of Deathtrap....that's probably my 2nd favorite Michael Caine film. ;)
I bought the full-screen DVD a few years back, only because a widescreen version wasn't available. I wonder if one will ever be released.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Which edition do you have?
All I've got is a CRAPPY old VHS copy that I bought at a Suncoast video years ago (it was even recorded in LP mode!) and the sound is hideous.
TCM has shown it- I suppose I should request it and hope to get it on DVD-R next time it airs.

JamesTLewis

Agent
Real Name
James Lewis
MielR said:
Which edition do you have?
All I've got is a CRAPPY old VHS copy that I bought at a Suncoast video years ago (it was even recorded in LP mode!) and the sound is hideous.
TCM has shown it- I suppose I should request it and hope to get it on DVD-R next time it airs.
"clicky" on the "out Of Print"

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
There were two Region One releases of Sleuth. The second release was a big improvement over the first, and was the only one of the two that was enhanced for 16:9 displays. Both of them have a pretty poor soundtrack. It sounds like a lot of noise reduction was applied to a not very hi-fi source element.
older:
htf_imgcache_1758.gif

newer (better):
htf_imgcache_1757.gif

Both are out of print, but definitely try to snag the more recent one if you are combing the used bins.
Regards,

David Mahlan

Stunt Coordinator
I don't want to hijack the thread too much, but the "Sleuth" score has been mentioned... Does anyone know anything about the recordings of the Cole Porter songs that Oliver is listening to at the beginning of the second act? Were they existing recordings, or were they done for the film? In either case, does anyone know the name of the singer?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks