What's new

Sleuth on DVD question (1 Viewer)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I have the original 1998 flipper edition of Sleuth. It has several oddities. I'm not sure how a 139 min movie with a single mono audio track, an unimpressive transfer and zilch for special features takes a flipper, even without dual layer disks available.

Also, the framing appears to be wrong. This movie is presented in an aspect ratio of 1.66:1. In the opening credits, many of the credits seem to go off the left or right side of the screen. Was a 1.85 film cut down to 1.66? If so, why would anyone do this? This angers both the full and widescreen camps.

It appears this movie got a 2nd DVD release at sme point. Is the framing problem fixed? Are the any other reasons to trade up to the new one?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The newer SLEUTH is ten times what the first one was in terms of quality (although certainly not flawless in its own right). It is, first, a dual-layer disc. Second, the framing is now 1.85:1 (although I think 1.66 might actually be the correct AR, this framing looks fine). The color is much more consistent and the contrast/sharpness are improved. There is also a new documentary. It sells for peanuts at places like K Mart. I recommend it.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I never saw the original disc - I didn't even know it existed - but the 2002 version offers a pretty decent package. Picture and sound quality are unexceptional but average for a movie of its vintage. The documentary's actually an interview with writer Anthony Shaffer, and it's quite interesting. Given the disc's low price, I'd think a repurchase is merited.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, great film. :emoji_thumbsup:
I have never seen the 1998 flipper edition, but I own the 2002 remastered edition. It's a pretty good transfer, for my money. The 20-minute interview with Schaffner is superb. He died shortly after doing this interview. Great writer in my book. I love Sleuth. It's a unique film - only two actors for 139 minutes!
"A jumped-up pantry boy, who never learned his place!"
Anyone here like the British band, The Smiths? :)
Gordy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks