Sleeves for Flexi-Rack support rods?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GarryW, Oct 15, 2001.

1. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

I am thinking about building my own flexi-rack but don't care for the exposed threaded rod look. Has anyone built one with some type of tube material to cover this up?

2. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins Stunt Coordinator

I used 1" ID PVC pipe sprayed gold. I used 1" washers to lock the pipe in place.

3. GregE

GregE Agent

I used 1 1/4" conduit sprayed black. I didn't care for the flimsy feel of PVC and wanted added strength. The washers for the 3/4" threaded rod are large enough that the conduit rests on them. The condiut give it a nice solid feel. My flexy entertainment center could withstand a tornado it feels that sturdy and heavy.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

5. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

One look that I thought of but never tried is to use lengths of heatshrink tubing. This is the stuff normally used to add strength to cables where they meet connectors. You can get it in various thicknesses. Simply slide pices of the unshrunk tube of the rods, assemble your rack and then finish off with the hairdryer to tighten the shrink tubing to the rod. Should be a pretty slick look.
    Here is a PE link to an example of it in a one inch thickness (shrinks to as much as 1/2 inch).
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=2039&DID=7
    The product picture is blue, but it available in lots of colours including black.
    Robin Smith

6. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

Great ideas! Have another question:
    I notice that Lovan makes their racks in a 3 post design, with 2 post in the front, and one in the back center. It's a sharp design, but one of the reasons I'm going to an open rack design from a closed cabinet is to be free from obstructions. Has anyone made their flex-rack this way? [​IMG]

7. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

Click on the home icon to see my quasi-flexi design using black painted conduit as sleeves. The pics are very out of date but I still use the rack.
    Jason

8. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Believe it or not i used black split loom tubing. It doesnt cover the large nuts but covers most of the threaded rod and the only exposed areas face the back of the rack.. I think it looks excellent. Its easy and cheap to change sizes if you adjust your shelves later too. Just re-trim the tubing..