Sleepy Hollow DVD ...WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Ruiz, Feb 5, 2002.

1. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

Hi Guys,

I've read many times here that many people believe that Sleepy Hollow has one of the best soundtracks to date, but no one ever mentioned the VIDEO QUALITY. This DVD is AMAZING! I only have a 27" Sony Wega, but boy, was I in awe the entire time! The video quality is flawless, and extremely detailed. Does anyone know how this DVD looks like on a 60"+ Widescreen TV? I'm wondering, if it has enough quality to be blown up that big.

2. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

You're right, the video quality on Sleepy Hollow is incredible. It's always been a reference disc for my collection. But of course, although the video quality is superb, it doesnt quite match....... The Godfather! [​IMG]
    Sorry David, but you're not gonna be able to forget that one! [​IMG]

3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Also particuarly cool is that most B&M stores now have this splendid DVD for rock-bottom prices. [​IMG]

4. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

That and Talented Mr Ripley are two of the best Paramount transfers, and DVD transfers in general, I have seen. Superb job done on both releases.

Dan (UK)

5. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

When I seen this at the theatre I couldn't wait for the DVD release as I thought it was a superb film. When I purchased the disc it was technically very good, but upon the second viewing I was a little disappointed with the actual movie, and I didn't watch it again until a couple of months ago and I find the movie so-so and actually find it fairly dull. On the plus side I thought it had some superb art-direction.

But the real point of this thread was to comment on the technical side, and I can only echo what has been said by saying the transfer is reference quality the soundtrack is very strong, and it does have a nice batch of extras to boot.

6. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

I agree. I think Sleepy Hollow is Paramount's best DVD to date.

Regards,

Dan

7. Jamie Cole

Jamie Cole Stunt Coordinator

This is my wife's favorite DVD (I'm sure the presence of Johnny Depp doesn't hurt), and the first thing I pull out to show off my TV. There's a landscape scene during the credits that's breathtaking. I'll find the time code tonight, but if you own the disc you know what I'm talking about.

8. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Since we're talking DVD video quality in this thread, I'll just chime in and say that I also view this as one of Paramount's very best DVD picture transfers to date.

9. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

I "reviewed" this movie at AVS when it first came out...and said it was of "reference-quality" even if it wasn't "Superbitted" (the ruler by which to measure PQ now days). The image held up extremely well -very film-like- when projected on a 12 foot wide scope-ratioed screen via a Dukane ImagePro 9015 D-ILA display device (professionally calibrated) and HT-PC.

The video transfer has incredibly close looks to that of 35mm theatrical prints, which is great as film is our absolute frame of reference with which to judge video transfers. You indeed picked a winner!...

-THTS

10. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I'm in agreement with everyone here. This DVD has outstanding video quality and a great soundtrack. Overall, I think it's a pretty good movie. I liked it much better the second time I saw it.

11. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

I haven't bought the DVD yet, but I viewed it on HBO or Showtime several times in HD. WOW.

12. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    What's to say that hasn't been said already? Next to 'Moulin Rouge', it's one of the best dvd transfers in my collection.
    I was giddy with excitment at how this film looked and sounded the first time I saw it, I particularlly love Danny Elfman's score here, it just COMMANDS your attention!
    As for the film itself, it's now one of my Halloween staples, just an awesome telling of Washington Irvings story brought to life by a filmmaker who was born to make a film like this with this material!

13. Steve Felix

Steve Felix Supporting Actor

It's great that the beautiful photography is so well represented. I think it's the most film-like transfer in my collection.

14. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

15. Roland Wandinger

Roland Wandinger Stunt Coordinator

16. Dan V

Dan V Stunt Coordinator

I wish all dvds looked this good. Defintely a top notch effort.My personel favorite part of the transfer is the wax seal on the document scene.

17. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I believe the US edition has fairly static menus. Is that right? The R2 has very cool 3D ones.
    I think the movie's great. One nice thing is the first of the two trailers was made before they washed out the colour so it's odd to see how green everything looks![​IMG]

18. bob_bolin

bob_bolin Auditioning

This is one of the titles I use to show off DVD to my friends who don't see why I am so obsessed with transfer quality and sound. I also really enjoy the film, as does my wife (as someone else mentioned, the presence of Mr. Depp probably doesn't hurt in that area). A top notch disk, and an exception from Paramount.

19. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    One of Tim Burtons best. He did an excellent job with this. This will make a great one to revisit after just having my Mits calibrated by HTF's Gregg Loewen.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

20. Martin Blythe

Martin Blythe Second Unit

Excuse me me, but what does "An exception from Paramount" mean when most of the other postings were a love fest. I was actually enjoying this thread till I saw that.