What's new

SLEEPING BEAUTY the next Platinum Edition? WHY? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I don't get it. This film was issued only a few years ago as a splendid DVD 2-disc special edition. Yet, PINOCCHIO hasn't had any sort of special edition at all, and its last release was wa-y-y before SLEEPING BEAUTY. What's up with that? I want PINOCCHIO, damn it!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Actually, the next Platinum Edition is going to be 101 DALMATIANS in the spring of 2008. SLEEPING BEAUTY arrives in the fall of 2008.

Many people were very dissatisfied with the picture quality of SLEEPING BEAUTY, so comparing what comes late next year to what we already have should be interesting.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Dick,

I was wondering the same thing (why Sleeping Beauty before Pinnocchio?). The only thought I had is that maybe they were looking for a tie in with the BluRay release of Sleeping Beauty.

-Reagan

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Yeah, I misspoke. I knew 101 DALMATIANS was next. But I still find it absurd that another special ed. of S.B. is preceding any new edition of PINOCCHIO.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Maybe they're doing a full blown restoration and it's not going to make it by October 2008.

Or maybe they want to wait until the HD market grows a little more and make Pinnochio the first Disney classic that comes out on Blu-Ray and SD at the same time.

Granted, those are nothing more than guesses and could be a million miles off the mark.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Does the sequence of cigar smoking in Pinocchio conflict with the studio's new anti-smoking rule, or are "legacy" titles exempt?

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
PINOCCHIO had a special edition reissue on DVD in 2003 everywhere except in the US using a new Lowry digitally restored master. It's out-of-print now, and looked quite different than the previous 2 video transfers released on this shore.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
As long as the actual long term health effects of smoking are dramatized (the surgeon general says it will turn you into a jackass), I suppose it is okay. :)

More seriously, I'm pretty sure the recent announcement was about new productions, but they have censored titles in the past with "Gaucho" Goofy and Pecos Bill smoking.

Regards,

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Gosh. If that was true, I'd think we'd be getting a new Beauty and the Beast before they even consider any other titles! I've got a small HD screen and even I see all the mosquito noise and red bleeding on that title. B&tB is one of my favorite titles and yet I consider it one of the worst looking DVDs in my collection.

Bo_Darville

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bo
plenty of counterfeit copies of both to be had on ebay

"new" "unopened" "still in wrapper"
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am sure it has a lot to do with "Princesses". Princess characters are huge among little girls. And they and their parents spend lots of money.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
What was the basic problem with the previous Sleeping Beauty release? It was satisfactory to me, but was there an aspect ratio problem, or what?

As for Pinocchio's cigar, I do not believe that even Disney's dumb enough to cut a whole minute out of one of their biggest classics. They didn't cut the Catepillar's hookah out of Alice in Wonderland, now did they?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The last Alice release was in 2004, but once it comes to Blu-Ray I'll have my fingers crossed that it remains intact.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
There was an outcry over the film being misframed but it was mostly from people who have no idea what they're talking about as the framing is identical to the 1997 laser of the film.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Exactly. Sleeping Beauty was shot in Technirama 70, which has a 2.21:1 ratio. 35mm scope typically has an A/R of 2.35:1-2.40:1. Also, the current disc exhibits some pretty hideous ringing, although it's no worse than other Disney titles from the same period.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
NO! NO! NO!

Technirama was always a 35mm process that used a VistaVision-style 8 perf printing format with the addition of an anamorphic lens. In neg form the film has a ratio of 2.25:1 which is roughly half way between conventional 35 and 70mm gauges. This middle of the road aspect ratio combined with the double size neg is what made the process become so popular for adapting to 70mm. Now assuming Disney went back to the original neg of the film they would have to use 8-perf 35mm since thats what it was made on, not 65mm.

As for cropping on the bottom, I don't see it and as said cropping is visible on the 1997 laserdisc transfer it might be here to stay.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I checked the SB dvd again; I don't know exactly what's going on, but there is something odd about the framing. I just can't figure it out though--it looks ok, but it looks wrong too. There's nothing to do but go forward. Disney needs to do a real restoration on the film. Go back to the source elements, or forget it. I have little faith, seeing as how they've botched every "restoration" they've done on their animated features for dvd over the past 2 or 3 years. The Little Mermaid is a shameless mess, and I hear people wailing over this week's release of the Jungle Book as well. Doesn't matter--I have stopped buying Disney dvds on SD until they start taking themselves more seriously. And to hammer the final nail--Disney really should be the world leader in terms of innovation in film restoration. Keep in mind that Disney created or improved upon a lot of film processes that are still used today. For them to release sh*t like "the Little Mermaid" on its recent dvd and act like it's the second coming is a big slap in the face to the company's founder.

If they're going to release Sleeping Beauty again, so soon after the last release, then it's going to have to be perfect this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks