Sleeping Beauty - German DVD - Where to buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dylan Davis, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Dylan Davis

Dylan Davis Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone who of an e-tailer or a local place in the Los Angeles area where I can get the German Disney's Sleeping Beauty release. It is supposed to be a 2 disc and anamorphic version.

Thanks!

Dylan

2. Chad B.

Chad B. Second Unit

3. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

... or you could wait for the French R2 2-disc limited edition, which is released on 22 April.

This is also anamorphic, but with English and French soundtracks, although the DTS track is unfortunately the French dub. Be warned though that one or two of the documentaries have a French voice narrating over the original English (I'm not sure how these appear on the German edition).

Personally I'll be getting the French edition, partly because I understand French menus better, but also because the French title on the box, "La Belle au Bois Dormant", is in keeping with the original title of Charles Perrault's story.

4. Dylan Davis

Thanks for the info, guys.

Chad, any idea if I will have problems trying to order from Amazon with an American credit card? Besides not understanding German. LOL

Dylan

5. Chad B.

Chad B. Second Unit

As long as you're using a Mastercard or Visa I doubt you'll have a problem. [​IMG]

6. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

Dylan,

I have ordered from amazon.de several times with my American VISA, and it worked perfectly with no problems whatsoever.

Scott

7. Thane

Thane Stunt Coordinator

I bought Sleeping Beauty (German version) from Avides.com. The total cost, including shipping ($) was $31.26. I've ordered from them before, and have had good luck so far. Shipping was prompt, and I received it within days of shipment.

Edit: For some reason, the link isn't working so I removed it, but the website is Avides.com!

8. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Second Unit

9. Dylan Davis

Thanks everyone!

10. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

The French version, released this coming Wednesday (24th) appears to have English menus as well as French.
    See http://www.dvdrama.net/fiche?2323
    The menu screens are on the left hand side of the screen. Click on the first and see a disc language selection screen offering English and French.
    I hope this approach is taken on both discs, as it looks like there will be lots of text screens on the second disc detailing the film's production...
    As you can see from my profile I'm from the United Kingdom and I'm incenced that Disney UK didn't release the 2 Disc set in the UK, and instead fobbed us off with a 4:3 single disc release only... of the single best Disney film of all time!
    Being as the disc has been mastered for English and French speaking countries and seemingly the English version is the default selection (it's first on the list) I am at a total loss as to why this was not released...
    So far I've sent two e-mails and 1 snail mail to Disney UK indicating that I would not be buying the UK single disc release, but instead would be buying one of the continental 2 disc releases instead and have not recieved a reply to any of them. While you may be dissatisfied with Disney in the USA, as least they respond. Seems nobody gives a damn about customer complaints in the UK [​IMG]

11. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I've also ordered the French 2-disc version and I too emailed Disney in the UK asking why they haven't issued the widescreen version. I also received no response, as seems to be common with Disney in the UK who only seem to be interested in catering for the kiddie market here.

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It's coming out in the US this fall. Personally I'm going to wait.

13. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

James what annoys me even more in the UK is that Disney went to the trouble of getting all the extras certified by the BBFC. Also check disks were produced as R2 Project www.r2-dvd.org got one for review of all the extras.
    Disney then pulled the 2 disk special edition days before release as the view was we only want P/S in the UK
    [​IMG] . They will now only release the 2 disk special editions for new release films and the Platinum series, all 1 disk will be P/S only [​IMG]

14. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

15. James Reader

16. James Reader

17. Malcolm Cleugh

I'm afraid I can't remember where I saw the story of only P/S in the UK I thought it was R2 Project but does not seem to be the case, as you provided the info.

I think the reason for poor sales of the 2 disk SE in the UK is Disney's pricing £19.99 for the 1 disk or £24.99 for the 2 disk. Most of the public will buy the 1 disk as its for their kids and is cheaper ! they don't care if its w/s or p/s. They don't like w/s but as most new Disney is 1.85 it should not be a problem just offering w/s given the take up of w/s TVs here. Where you get a problem is with 2.35, as a friend of mine complained they still get black bars on their w/s TV for some films !

Ethusiasts like us will use our common sense to buy from the US as they are much cheaper. I only paid £14.99 for the R1 Snow White and the cheapest I saw for the SE in the UK was £17.99 also you get DTS which is important to me.

It will get even worse with Beauty and the Beast as Futureent have the R1 SE for £12.99 who will buy in the UK at upto double the price ?

Jeff can you or anyone confirm if Sleeping Beauty is coming out in the US as a SE I thought it was a European exclusive. If so I will wait. Have you got mixed up with Beauty and the Beast out in October ?

18. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

19. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

" The R1 of Snow White has DTS? "
    ...slip of the finger, probably...
    ...it has:
    ° English 5.1
    ° English Mono (Original soundtrack) - Thank you Disney! (signed: A. P. Urist)
    ° French 5.1
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

20. Malcolm Cleugh

Sorry guys for confusing you, shows I should check before posting. As you say my Snow White is only DD. Was probably thinking of Fantasia.

Anyway point stands Disney do not release DTS tracks in the UK even though they do in continental Europe and US.