What's new

Sleeping Beauty dvd (1 Viewer)

Leonard B

Stunt Coordinator
On the Beauty and the Beast dvd, there was a clip from Sleeping Beauty, but no release date was given. Does anyone have information on this? Also, does anyone know if it will be in widescreen?
Thanks

James Reader

Screenwriter
It is rumoured for a May 2003 release. I expect it will be widescreen - I already have the UK P&S release as well as the French 2 disc collectors set (which is presented in it's widescreen glory) and I certainly won't be buying the R1 release unless it is!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Well, since they bothered to make
Beauty and The Beast widescreen only
(even more so then they had to,
since the OAR was 1.66:1, and the DVD is 1.85:1),
I would imagine, that Buena Vista Home Video
will see fit to present Sleeping Beauty
--Uncle Walt's best use of widesceen in his catalog.--
in all its OAR glory.
Mark

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I am told that the French DVD is the old letterbox release done for laser - story goes does has done a new anamorphic transfer for us dvd. I hope it has all the extras of the laser bos set and more!

James Reader

Screenwriter
I am told that the French DVD is the old letterbox release done for laser - story goes does has done a new anamorphic transfer for us dvd. I hope it has all the extras of the laser bos set and more!
That's probably correct. I do spot a colour flickering a number of times on my French DVD.

I'm hoping the R1 version (as well as having a new transfer) will have a reconstructed Walt Disney Audio commentary like Snow White and Fantasia. After all, Sleeping Beauty was supposed to be Walt's flagship film.

James Reader

Screenwriter
According to one DVD magazine over here, the R2 release of Sleeping Beauty (in full widescreen glory) with an extra supplemental disc is in January 2003 (exact date TBC).

It will be interesting to see if this is identical to the upcoming American release, or if the R1 release will include extra supplements. For example, the picture galleries could include selected voice overs such as the Snow White/B&TB releases. I'm really hoping the R1 (or preferably the UK re-release!) will include a Walt Disney commentary taken from historical interviews and records.

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator
I usually don't like the color purple too much, but I sure do hope that they use the same cover as the French release (maybe it was used for other R2 releases as well, I just don't know...). It is gorgeous!!!!

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks