What's new

Sleeping Beauty: 2003 Special Edition vs. 2008 Platinum Edition (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
People can say whatever they want but when I hear complaints about nearly every animated release, either almost every DVD has some fatal flaw or sometimes animation fans are inventing problems just so they can have something to talk about. And I think that constant criticism has made people discount alot of what comes from the hardcore fans.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter

I want excellent releases of the Disney films. A lot of people do. I'm not inventing problems to have something to complain about. The images prove that. I, as well as a few other people, are bringing these problems to the surface because that is the only way that maybe the next releases won't be as mangled.

Check out what has happened to the animation lines in this capture from the BD.

sb5.jpg

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Chuck, would you mind enlightening us on how your captures were accomplished? We know that Gary Tooze over @ DVD Beaver is using the wrong colorspace for his captures, and I'm not saying that's the case with yours, but for curiosity's sake I'd like to know what you're using and the processing path. Thanks.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter

For the DVD captures I'm using VLC with no modifications. The BD captures I have to thank Michael @ Land of Whimsy as I don't have a BD-ROM drive from which to make captures.

Do you have the BD release? If you do, you can go to this scene, pause any frame, and see the same distorted image. It is far more apparent on the HD release than the DVD because of the much higher resolution.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I have the BD release, but no BD player as of yet. I figured it was a better investment than buying the new DVD release, as it comes with disc 1 of the DVD release attached.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter

I look forward to when you do have a BD player and HDTV so you can comment. I know you're going to find the pics accurate and perhaps you'll even be a little surprised. It looks far worse in motion, and I only have a 42" HDTV - I'll bet the weird aftereffects of the major processing that was done on the transfer are even more glaring on larger displays.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
I think the real problem about the complaints of animation fans is that too many of them suffer from what I like to call "Howard Dean Syndrome". They might have a legitimate gripe or a valid point, and may even be right, but the way they present themselves and drive their points home puts off people who are not animation fanatics (like that guy that Googled for random Peter Pan cel reproductions and screamed at the top of his lungs that the newest DVD didn't match them. Right or wrong, insinuating that people who don't agree with you are blind and/or ignorant does not help your cause.)

It's all very similar to the case of the rabid Star Wars people who aren't taken seriously by anyone anymore, least of all Lucas and those in his employ.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks