Sleep Deprivation: How long have YOU stayed up?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph Young, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

There are moments in life when it is impossible to get sleep.. be it because of long nights studying (or slacking off), or in my case, a roomate who gets drunk, locks his door and makes sweet love to his subwoofer/music collection from 1 AM -8 AM every night.

I am handling today as someone might handle walking over smooth, slippery stones.. very gingerly and carefully.

How many of you, after going without sleep for a day or more, have experienced hallucinations, white spots, bad circulation, trembling and an overall sense of being in a waking/dream state?

When can it be fun? And when does it just suck?

Joseph

2. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

Longest I've ever stayed up was for 28 hours. I didn't feel bad but I took a long nap after that.

3. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    It's never fun. I often experience the trembling and disorientation if I am deprived of sleep for over 30 hours. The longest I've gone was around 50 hours and I was a wreck.

4. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Well back in my late teenage/early 20's days I did a few no sleep nights. Basically getting up at around 8:30-9 in the morning and not sleeping that night and going through the whole next day, usually caught an hour power nap, but not much more. The wonderful days of being a network computer grunt for a company that had to be up 24/7 with no excuses and not enough infrastructure to make that truly possible. Back then it wasn't usually to bad, just loaded up on whatever kind of caffiene I could find, about at the end of the day I would pop a couple of vivarin and chase them with a couple cups of cuban coffee...and still be wiped out after it. Was great when my tool case always had a fresh package of vivarin/no-doz and a roll of quarters for a soda machine.

About a year ago I found myself in another similiar situation, working at a startup and having a major system problem, and pull an all nighter, that was about 30 hours straight up (murphy's law says the computers will fail about 30 minutes before it's time to go home). I was wiped out from it, went home and passed out for a few hours, got up and ate something watched a little TV and then went back to bed. That was hellacious, no halucinating or anything that dramatic, but was not a pleasant feeling.

Andrew

5. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

During finals week in sophomore year of college, I had 4 finals in 2 days (2 chemistry, dif eq., and microbiology) and was entirely powered by Mountain Dew (by day) and coffee (by night).

I was stuttering and incoherent after the last final...48 hours sans sleep. I never did that again.

6. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I've got 38 straight hours without sleep, but I've also gone 5 days with only 7 hours of sleep. Ain't college grand?

I don't want to know how your roommate makes love to his subwoofer, but I hope its not an isobaric design. That could get painful.

7. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

52 hours- during a tactical readiness exam on the submarine, back in my Navy days.
    Another time- I actually performed a nuclear reactor startup (multi-hour evolution, where attention to detail is VERY important- nobody wants fission reaction to get away from them[​IMG] ) after having been up for 32 hours. There were a few moments during that evolution that I have no recall of.[​IMG]
    I was routinely up for more than 24 hours- this occurred almost weekly on the submarine. You just got used to it- and I NEVER used any No-Doz or caffeine. At times, it was difficult, to say the least.
    Todd

8. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

I once stayed up for 65 hours straight. Somehow, I finished 4 exams & projects during finals week (on the last bit, a computer lab, I directed spotlights so that when my eyes wandered from the screen, one of them would hit me right in the eye...). I then apparently went home (off-campus), packed my suitcase, drove to the airport, got on the right plane to overseas, and made it there. Met my parents, and passed out on the way back to their place (3 hour drive).
    To this day, I do not remember most of that. Last I remember was dropping off that last project (got an A on 3 of the 4 items), and then waking up in Germany with all of my stuff there. The rest I had planned beforehand, but...
    Since then, pulling all-nighters has been painful, usually the second day after. I try not to. [​IMG]
    Mike

9. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

Longest I've stayed up was about 30 hours. High School Pep Band Marathon.

I saw a TV show and heard a couple radion broadcast talking about the effects of sleep deprivation. I was amazed at how destructive it can be to your physical & mental health. I think the guy that holds the record suffered some serious mental health problems.

10. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    A little over 70 hours.

11. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

My long term stretch without sleep was about 65 hours. The hospital I was a Systems Analyst at moved to a new building I was in charge of getting the mainframes up and running and all terminals connected.

I had periods of time where I felt like I was outside of myself, would stare without seeing, and felt like a zombie. Pretty much looked like one at the end too.

~Kurt

12. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

After being up awake for 50 hours, I drove the 14 miles home and got stopped for speeding 80+MPH. I told the cop what I had been doing for the last couple of days and he let me go.

13. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Had a friend who for no good reason decided to see how long he could go with out sleep (this was during summer vaction in high school). After a little over 5 days he was right out of it. Seeing things, hearing things, completely incoherent.

Although he did sleep very very well when he just couldn't stay up anymore.

Isn't Navy Seal's hell week 5 days of almost constant physical and mental exursion with no sleep?

14. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

15. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

When I was 15 I moved away from a dreaded place and came back home to Edmonton. I had been away for 7 months and was so happy to be back and see my friends again. Didn't sleep for 47 hours.
    I was always a little amazed at that, I remember not even being tired when I layed down to sleep. I was on such a natural high. That was 1989.
    In 1998, August 16th to be exact me and my girlfriend of 6 years broke up. She left me for her married boss (yes-the worst day of my life). But this day never seemed to end, it went on for 88 hours, until I finally nodded off.
    THAT I never want to repeat ever again. [​IMG]

16. Chris Wittry

Chris Wittry Stunt Coordinator

Sometimes when my business gets busy and demanding I spend several days at a time without sleep. I once had a web site that the customer put a rush order on. I stayed up for just over 5 days without any sleep. I think I went through a couple of cases of Mt. Dew and many pitchers of iced tea to get through that, but I got the work done. I routinely go 6-7 days in a row with only an hour or 2 of sleep per night, so I guess I'm somewhat used to it, but the downside is I sometimes just crash. Isn't life grand? [​IMG]

17. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo

John Dhein
    My excesses were also in the Navy.

69 hours straight is the longest I truly remember. I don't remember the whole time, but, when I realized how many hours it was I started laughing, and had a tough time stopping. My Chief finally took my watch and sent me to get some sleep.

(Only human thing the a$$#[email protected] ever did for me.)

18. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Longest for me was 32 hours.

19. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

God bless the military...longest in one straight stretch was close to 100 hours....running on pure adrenaline. Another time I went 7 days with about 6 hours of sleep.

Today....I make it a point to rest but still wake up all hours of the night, 5 minutes before my alarm and also wake up at the drop of a hat.

20. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

About 40 hours and I agree with the symptoms as well.
    Along these lines we have a great movie tie-in which is in my theory a film written UNDER these conditions, or upon reflection of these conditions.
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    The whole theme is that you can't go to sleep. And the longer they stay up the more paranoid they become. Everyone is out to get them and they will die if they sleep, so they stay up longer. And everyone who has been "invaded" looks and sounds exactly the same as they always did, there is no real way to tell.
    It totally strikes me as a paranoid mind game that someone might come up with while staying up for an extended period of time.
    When I watch that film (either one, but especially the original) I always think of a writer(s) sitting up all night and thinking of this idea.
    Something to think about the next time you watch it. [​IMG]