What's new

Sleater-Kinney on Conan Wed 10/30 (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
For those of us who love this band (which Time magazine declared the worlds best rock band and Esquire proclaimed they're "too good for radio")-- SLEATER-KINNEY will make their national TV debut on the Conan show on the 30th.
I saw them play a sold out show here in Cleveland a few nights ago, and it was wonderful. They seemed a lot more comfortable in front of the large audience than they had years ago wehn I saw them at the Black Cat in DC. They even went so far as to kick out a Springsteen cover at the show, complete with Janet (drummer) on harmonica.
I wonder what they'll play on Conan, since they don't exactly promote "singles" like a conventional radio band. Obviously it will be something from the newest record, maybe they'll play their "Sept 11th" track "FAR AWAY" in honor of being in NYC.
-Vince

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Despite all the good things I've read about them, I've never heard anything from Sleater-Kinney, so I'll look forward to seeing them on Conan. (Well, not on Conan, blah blah blah).
If I like them, which album should I start with?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

I really think their strongest is "ALL HANDS ON THE BAD ONE" (their 5th, released in 2000)- however I think their most "accessible" is "DIG ME OUT" (their 3rd, released in 1997).

Their most recent, ONE BEAT, is also excellent-- but if you're a newcomer to their sound, it might take some getting used to.

My ranking would be:

1) ALL HANDS ON THE BAD ONE (their 5th, released in 2000)
3) ONE BEAT (their 6th, released in 2002)
3) DIG ME OUT (their 3rd, released in 1997)
4) CALL THE DOCTOR (their 2nd, 1996)
5) tie THE HOT ROCK (4th, released 1999) - SLEATER-KINNEY (1st, released 1995)

-Vince

Bill cc

Agent
Although I'm not the biggest fan of Sleater-Kinney (I do like some of their work), it's nice to see a "Kill Rock Stars" artist gain some noteriety. Too bad it wasn't Unwound in their heyday... one of the greatest bands ever, in my opinion. Definitely one of the most underappreciated.

On a side note, I'm also glad The Donnas are gaining some fame, I saw them on Jay Leno this week.

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Thanks Vince,
Beck will be on Conan O'Brien 10/29/02
And TheFlaming Lips will be on Conan O'Brien 10/31/02
so it looks like I'm going to have to watch it 3 days in a row!

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I picked up one of their albums back in the day (well, '97) after I heard so many good things. (CMJ, etc...) Put in the cd player and I just could not get into them at all. Just sounded terrible to me. It's been a few years, so maybe I'll give them another shot and see if my ears have changed.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info Vince, I'll be there!. Sleater-Kinney is one of my favorite bands. Saw them at Coney Island this past Summer and I can't stop listening to their new album.

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Alright the show is tonight.

By the way, I missed Beck with The Flaming Lips last night and I'm really pissed. I set the VCR and it turns out I left a tape in there that was too near the end, so the tape ends 20 minutes before they came on.

If anyone happens to have this on VHS I'd be very appreciative for a copy.
Thanks.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
For anyone who missed it, they played STEP ASIDE from their newest record- which really reminds me of what the Go-Gos might have sounded like if they were a 90 post punk band.
The performance will obviously be rebroadcast tonight on the encore of Conan at 7:00pm on Comedy Central.
I would encourage anyone who has never heard the band but is looking to discover some new rock material to check them out!
-Vince

TimS

Grip
They have been on my to buy list for a while. Thanks to your thread I was sure to watch and now they have a new fan so to speak. Thanks Vince...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks