"Slapstick Encyclopedia"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom B. Stones, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Tom B. Stones

Tom B. Stones Stunt Coordinator

Hello, everyone.
    As I intend to place an order at Deep Discount in the next few days, I am tempted to plump for a pre-order of "Slapstick Encyclopedia" while I am at it. However, I can find little information on the product, other than that it is a five disc set (936 minutes) of 53 silent shorts, to be issued by Image Entertainment on April 23rd. (This much came from www.image-entertainment.com, along with a little further, more general info.)
    From searching the web, I gather that the collection (or at least one by the same name) has previously been made available on VHS and on laserdisc, but I cannot turn up any reviews. Presuming that the DVD release will match if not better its forerunners, I would be most grateful if anyone could offer an opinion on any of these incarnations, or point me towards a source of more detail on the DVDs.
    Should anyone else be interested, the set is on offer at just over $50 (RRP is just under $70). If you are US-based, you can avail of free shipping to boot.

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Wow! I am so glad you pointed this out - I almost bid on a laserdisc box set at a considerably higher price point. Now I can get the whole shot for one third what one box set used to go for (there were two box sets).

Wished I could answer your questions, but I'm pretty certain it's the same stuff that's on the LDs, since Image also put them out.

3. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

The DVD version will include a little additional material. The following is from an email to me from the disc's producer, David Shepard:

4. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    To respond to the most recent post, I believe that the issues with the Harold Lloyd Trust has been resolved and that we can expect new releases soon:
    http://www.haroldlloyd.com/letter.html

5. Tom B. Stones

Tom B. Stones Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, everyone. I think I'll take a chance on this one.

(And good news on Harold Lloyd, too!)

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Before everyone gets all excited about the Harold Lloyd discs, that website has been proclaiming the issuance of DVDs "soon" forever. I'll believe it when I see it. Their timeline, claiming in December that they would be able to get through restoration, authoring, pressing and on store shelves by May of this many films strikes most as completely unrealistic. When (if) they do issue them, I'll be there. But I'm not holding my breath for these any more than I am for London After Midnight to hit DVD.