Slamball - Anyone see it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I caught a bit of this new game called Slamball on TNN last night.

It's a combination of basketball, trampoline, soccer, hockey and football. You have a regular sized basketball court with 4 trampolines on each end of the court in front of each basket. The defenders are allowed to basically mug you/check you (no clipping, or hitting below the belt) while you are moving the ball around to steal the ball away, but once you are in the air from jumping on the trampoline, they can only go for the ball, not the body. There's a goalie of some sorts to try and block the shot, and goal-tending seems to be allowed. Dunks are worth 3 points, normal fields are 2 points. I don't think there's a travelling call in this game. There's a 15 second shot clock, so it's pretty fast paced.

Anyhow, it did feel a little like one of those futuristic games you see in movies set in the future. It was a bit wierd, but seeing such high dunks was fun. I don't know if it'll catch on, but try to tune in and check it out on TNN in early August (I think it premieres 8/3/02).

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Yep I've seen lots of previews for this. I think it could be very shortlived!

Brent

3. Dave_P

Dave_P Stunt Coordinator

It may be shortlived, but I enjoyed some of what I saw the other night. There are some crazy, unbelievable dunks in this game. It's a game for testosterone freaks imo. I'm bigger, stronger, and tougher than you are boy. Try to stop me from taking this to the hole.

4. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I loved it. I don't know about it being a great spectator sport but I personally would love to play the game.

Patrick

5. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Was watching it for the first time myself the other night and I thought it was good, then again I went to the first XFL game when I lived in Las Vegas and thought the same thing. Problem is not that these sports are not a good idea but if the public will spend the time away from the standard sports to watch them. That and I can see someone getting seriously hurt like neck injuries when they get checked above the rim and land on their head.

KyleS