What's new

Press Release Skyscraper (4k UHD) (3D Blu-ray) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
209271_front.jpg

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I know the price will come down, but I don’t plan on ordering until it does. I wouldn’t want anyone to think I’d pay $45 for one movie. For that price I want the Rock to deliver the movie and provide a live commentary.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Saw it last night in 3D - there’s one sequence in the film about halfway through that’s just spectacular to watch. It wasn’t quite as intense as “The Walk” was for heights in 3D but was still pretty crazy.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Saw it last night in 3D - there’s one sequence in the film about halfway through that’s just spectacular to watch. It wasn’t quite as intense as “The Walk” was for heights in 3D but was still pretty crazy.

Hmm... I was planning to see it at the AMC Dolby Cinema 2D - you think I should do (non-Dolby Cinema, non-IMAX) 3D instead?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Tough call, because I think those Dolby screens can be larger and have better picture overall than standard RealD screens. If you like 3D and would get a thrill out of looking down 100 stories, go for the 3D.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I saw it tonight in Dolby Cinema and of course it looked great but I was wondering how much more I would have enjoyed it in 3D.

I thought it was a fairly decent disaster film.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The 3D was great for all of the sequences involving heights. It was otherwise standard fare for all of the other sequences but when it counted most, it delivered.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The 3D was great for all of the sequences involving heights. It was otherwise standard fare for all of the other sequences but when it counted most, it delivered.
I think I’ll see it again in 3D.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm going to pass on this movie all-together. It just doesn't look interesting enough as I've seen enough mediocre films in the movie theater this year.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm going to pass on this movie all-together. It just doesn't look interesting enough as I've seen enough mediocre films in the movie theater this year.
It’s pretty much exactly what it looks like. Nothing new. Fun but disposable.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I saw it tonight in Dolby Cinema and of course it looked great but I was wondering how much more I would have enjoyed it in 3D.

I thought it was a fairly decent disaster film.

Except it's not a disaster film. It's a "Die Hard" ripoff with some disaster clothing.

FWIW, I went 3D and liked the effect during the scenes that showcased height/depth - those worked well.

The rest was meh - little obvious impact from the 3D - and the added darkness that came with 3D turned into a negative. This is a very dark film visually, so the extra darkness that 3D brings made it look murky, IMO...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Except it's not a disaster film. It's a "Die Hard" ripoff with some disaster clothing.

FWIW, I went 3D and liked the effect during the scenes that showcased height/depth - those worked well.

The rest was meh - little obvious impact from the 3D - and the added darkness that came with 3D turned into a negative. This is a very dark film visually, so the extra darkness that 3D brings made it look murky, IMO...
It’s a bit more disaster than Die Hard with a fair amount of The Towering Inferno thrown in.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It’s a bit more disaster than Die Hard with a fair amount of The Towering Inferno thrown in.

It's definitely "more disaster" than "Die Hard" - partly because "Die Hard" has little to no "disaster" content - but I still think the "Die Hard"/action side of it dominates heavily.

I expected more "disaster" from it - more "people in peril due to the fire" stuff - than it included. That's partly because almost no one was in peril! It was really just Johnson's family and the building's owner.

That's what takes it out of "disaster" territory for me: the lack of danger for a large group. Seems to me that most - all? - disaster movies involve a threat to lots of people, whereas this event only endangered what, like 6 people?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Why do I picture a drooling monster in semi-darkness with red eyes grumbling “not enough blood, not enough blood” over and over?;)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

Good decision, Robert. I got my $8 worth of mindless entertainment (though I probably overpaid by $3). It lacks the intelligence of Die Hard as well as its first rate villain and it lacked the star power and glamour of Towering Inferno. It's the kind of movie where logic flies out the window including an absurd leap by a one legged amputee across the sky from a crane to a skyscraper. And when Neve Campbel walks a narrow catwalk with a flaming inferno below her, she crosses it in high heels! It's all as clear as the label on the can.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Is available in 3D from the North American Amazons also.

I'll only see this on home video if Uni sends me a review copy - I ain't paying money to watch it again! - and they never send me 3D anymore, so I'd have the 4K.

If I were in the market for the movie, though, I'd be torn. On one hand, I did like the 3D effect for some of the "staring down from the tall building" shots.

On the other, it really was a dark, semi-murky image that was made darker and semi-murkier due to the 3D, so the 4K probably would look a lot better.

I'd probably go 4K if forced to choose. Maybe my screening was underlit, but I really didn't like the murkiness of it!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I didn’t experience a murky image when I saw it in 3D. That was probably your local theater playing the film out of spec, either by trying to extend the projector bulb’s life by turning down the brightness (which doesn’t actually work and was debunked ages ago but still happens) or possibly by RealD being set up in an auditorium that didn’t conform to the system’s required specs for screen size and/or throw distance.

I love 3D but I am almost always let down by RealD presentations. Almost every single RealD presentation I’ve seen has been bested by watching the BD3D version on my home setup. Dolby Cinema is capable of outstanding dual projector 3D, but is utilized almost exclusively for 2D in the U.S. Imax 3D would have been ideal for this title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks