SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Title: Skyscraper (2018)

Tagline: Don't look down

Genre: Action, Thriller, Drama

Director: Rawson Thurber

Cast: Dwayne Johnson, Neve Campbell, Chin Han, Noah Taylor, Byron Mann, Pablo Schreiber, McKenna Roberts, Noah Cottrell, Hannah Quinlivan, Adrian Holmes, Elfina Luk, Kevin Rankin, Jett Klyne, Kayden Magnuson, Byron Lawson, Nelson Wong, Colin Corrigan, Omari Newton, Venus Terzo, Paul McGillion, Matt O'Leary, Tzi Ma, Roland Møller, Gretal Montgomery, Jason William Day, Ryan Handley, Sean Kohnke, Shawn Stewart, Brian Ho, Tina Tong, Carlo Yu, Dimitry Tsoy, Allen Keng, Sam Yunussov, Paul Wu, Glenn Chow, Robert Boyce, Aaron Au, Grace Wang, Marcus Sim, Rene Wang, Kathy Wu, Lawrence Chau, Evan Lai, Shamel Hashish, Matthew Wolf, Fabio Tassone, Leanne Suter, Rick Chambers, Lasaundra Gibson, Wendy Jacobson, Sarah K. Thurber, Malin Barr, Vivian Full, Hung Huynh, Beatrice Ilg

Release: 2018-07-11

Runtime: 109

Plot: Framed and on the run, a former FBI agent must save his family from a blazing fire in the world's tallest building.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I had two thoughts when i saw this:
1) Are they actually remaking Die Hard? Sure looks like it.

2) I like Dwayne Johnson. I just wish he made better movies.

The scene in the trailer when he's jumping toward the building reminded me of the scene in The Other Guys when Johnson and Sam Jackson heroically jump off the building, and
plummet to their deaths.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I had two thoughts when i saw this:
1) Are they actually remaking Die Hard? Sure looks like it.

2) I like Dwayne Johnson. I just wish he made better movies.

The scene in the trailer when he's jumping toward the building reminded me of the scene in The Other Guys when Johnson and Sam Jackson heroically jump off the building, and ....
You just gave away a really great gag for anyone who hasn't seen the movie but plan to see it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
You just gave away a really great gag for anyone who hasn't seen the movie but plan to see it.

It's an eight-year-old movie! What's our statute of limitations on spoilers?

Anyway, I will put a spoiler in the post.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The Rock is close to becoming over-exposed. Jumanji is still in theaters, Rampage comes out next month, Skyscraper in July, and he has about a dozen projects in various stages of production.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
DVEMhK9X0AA457B.jpg

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Best movie poster edit, ever.

Gravity : A lot stronger in real life than Hollywood would have you believe.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Will the David Lee Roth skyscraper album be used as the soundtrack?

If so, I’m in.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well I fancy seeing it, it looks like good dumb fun. The thing is I hardly ever visit the cinema these days, so it'll be the Blu-ray bought for a good price around Christmas time.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My rating: "B-"

Entertaining sometimes, but....my vote still goes to Towering Inferno when it comes to burning skyscraper movies.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
My rating: "B-"

Entertaining sometimes, but....my vote still goes to Towering Inferno when it comes to burning skyscraper movies.

I view "Inferno" as the "Jaws" of burning building movies. No, it's not nearly as good a movie as "Jaws" - what is? - but it's nonetheless the one to which all others are compared.

You can't make a "killer fish" movie and not remind people of "Jaws", and you can't make a "burning tower" movie and not remind people of "Inferno"...

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
So after finally hopping aboard the Dwayne Johnson train, I actually looked forward to Skyscraper. Rather predictably, it was a disappointment.

There were two problems with the film for me. For starters, it was rather humorless for a Dwayne Johnson movie. Even worse, the filmmakers actually spent time and effort to set up elaborate predicaments for The Rock only to solve them in the most pedestrian way possible. Every time I was thinking, "wow, how's he going to get out of this?", the film came back with, "he just does". And unlike Die Hard, there are zero consequences to his actions, and as the movie progresses, there is zero feeling that he is actually in any danger.

The movie was enjoyable enough, but it felt like a low effort production and did very little to hide that it's a piece of commerce rather than a work of art.

Last edited:
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks