What's new

Blu-ray Review Skyfall Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Richard, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Trouble is, you are writing yours as if you just came down from the mountain with your opinions engraved on the stone tablets. You're not so much discussing, as you are proclaiming an a priori truth. I've been wanting to sneak that word into a conversation. :)

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
I thought there was little debate to be had about this scene. Bond obviously misses her on purpose, knowing he's in a situation where the girl's fate is probably sealed anyway. Silva shoots her, Bond makes a seemingly off-the-cuff remark to show that he is unaffected, in just the same way as during Silva's bizarre 'seduction' sequence earlier. The music and editing conveys that Bond is, in fact, highly distressed by Silva's murder of the girl, and thus his immediate actions are encouraged by the narrative. Oh well - that's what I took from it.
The BD looks fantastic. The documentary is great too. (Not as good as the old Inside... docs from the 90's, but still pretty good!)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Johnny Angell said:
Richard, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Trouble is, you are writing yours as if you just came down from the mountain with your opinions engraved on the stone tablets. You're not so much discussing, as you are proclaiming an a priori truth. I've been wanting to sneak that word into a conversation. :)
What do you do, Johnny Angell? I mean professionally? Do you have production experience? Do you write scripts? do you direct or act yourself? Are you a photographer? Have you ever edited a film? What do you know that you can speak confidently about from experience? Is there anything?
Kai Penttila said:
Bond used women as human shields in the 60s and 70s -- and made a joke about it in Thunderball-- what did that tell you about his character?
There's no analogy between the two scenes.
Nelson Au said:
Fiona Volpe was a bad girl who tries to kill Bond. It was a funny joke, she's just dead. She was a SPECTRE member too.
Thank you, Capt. Au, but let me offer a fuller explanation. Fiona Volpe works for Spectre. She facilitates hijacking the Royal Air Force jet with two nuclear warheads by killing the pilot, whom she sleeps with first, and training his double. Later in Jamaica she traps Bond's assistant Paula and facilitates her torture and murder. Then she sleeps with Bond until her men get there to capture him. She chases him down the street with a group of thugs. They wound him in the foot. She pushes her way onto the dance floor where Bond hopes to elude them, and then she tries to manipulate him into position so that her thugs can assassinate him from a place of concealment. But the plan backfires and she is shot by her own men. What does that tell you about her character? In contrast, however, Severine isn't trying to kill anybody in SKYFALL. She is merely a messenger, deathly afraid of Silva, and a passive victim tied to a post who looks to Bond to save her. He doesn't.
Will*B said:
I thought there was little debate to be had about this scene. Bond obviously misses her on purpose, knowing he's in a situation where the girl's fate is probably sealed anyway. Silva shoots her, Bond makes a seemingly off-the-cuff remark to show that he is unaffected, in just the same way as during Silva's bizarre 'seduction' sequence earlier. The music and editing conveys that Bond is, in fact, highly distressed by Silva's murder of the girl, and thus his immediate actions are encouraged by the narrative. Oh well - that's what I took from it.
Exactly. You nailed it. What a miserable situation to put Bond, and the moviegoer, in. Except that the off-the-cuff remark really stings in the context I describe above. The way the scene plays out, there's no reason Bond can't leap into action with the same fast moves before Severine is murdered. The objective of the scene is to show another failure, another defeat for Bond, another woman whose death he is complicit in. That's what's important to these filmmakers. Every scene in the film, even the most exciting action sequences, are constructed to show Bond losing the contest. He loses consistently right up to the end. That's not an opinion or a judgment. It's an observation of how each scene plays out. The real story-teller in this film is Roger Deakins. I just bought the blu-ray in Like New condition, "mint" according to the amazon marketplace seller, used for $14.99 + $2.98 postage. So my money will not get back to EON.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Richard--W said:
What do you do, Johnny Angell? I mean professionally? Do you have production experience? Do you write scripts? do you direct or act yourself? Are you a photographer? Have you ever edited a film? What do you know that you can speak confidently about from experience? Is there anything?
Speaking as someone who has production experience, writes scripts (nothing produced yet, but my reps and I are working on that), has directed, has acted (which I shan't be doing any longer for the benefit of you and me, I assure you), and has edited every type of film under the sun as well as worked on non-linear digital editing systems and I even have an (admittedly worthless) degree on top of it all ... ... what does any of that have to do with anything? He's not allowed to have an opinion unless he's got professional experience?

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
My first play was produced in 1977. My first job in television was had the same year (it lasted four hours, but that's another story). It has everything to do with it because he doesn't agree with me and is telling me I don't have the right. He is allowed to have an opinion about the film. No one here has denied him the right to an opinion about the film, not personal put-downs. So am I allowed to express what I know without being told I don't have the right. Some Bond fans just don't want anything negative said, that's all.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
You're misunderstanding him, then. He isn't saying that you don't have the right to an opinion. He's saying, and I agree with him, that you're acting like you have the final say on James Bond. That you don't have an opinion - that you're just relaying facts. Which isn't true. All you're doing is stating your opinion, just like everyone else. It's the attitude that people have an issue with. If you'd dial back on the pretension a little bit, we'd probably get a lot more accomplished around here :)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Richard--W said:
he doesn't agree with me and is telling me I don't have the right.
Please quote the post where Johnny told you this.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
performing arts said:
i think that Sam Mendes is an indisputed main colomn -star in cinema industry today as well as great stage director.. so Skyfall could not fail ... Each Mendes film is deep emotion to me like Woody Allen and Christopher Nolan.. here I said all :)
I'd love to see his work in the theater but I haven't had the chance yet. I keep missing all the good stuff. I think Sam Mendes is the best director to helm a Bond film since 1969, and John Logan has written the most sophisticated script. I respect SKYFALL as cinema, but it is a devastating almost clinical deconstruction of James Bond. I don't think much of it as a Bond film. Mendes and Logan are a good team. They deconstructed James Bond brilliantly. Now I wish they'd do another, only this time, do a James Bond in which he is James Bond in more than name only. As modern and progressive dramatists, however, I know their instincts are to deconstruct. But one can hope for a minor miracle.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
MattAlbie60 said:
You're misunderstanding him, then. He isn't saying that you don't have the right to an opinion. He's saying, and I agree with him, that you're acting like you have the final say on James Bond. That you don't have an opinion - that you're just relaying facts. Which isn't true. All you're doing is stating your opinion, just like everyone else. It's the attitude that people have an issue with. If you'd dial back on the pretension a little bit, we'd probably get a lot more accomplished around here :)
Dial back your own pretension :) . Some things are not matters of opinion. Every scene in SKYFALL is constructed to show Bond fail in what he attempts to do. He fails to recover the list, he fails to avoid being shot off the train, he fails catch Silva, he fails to prevent the assault on the tribunal, he fails to recover the hard drive in Shanghai, he fails to hold onto the opposition slipping through his fingers, he fails to save Severine, he fails to protect M. In fact in bringing her to Scotland it may be interpreted that he puts her in jeopardy and facilitates her death. there are layers and layers of personal failure in this script. That's not an opinion. That's how the script is written and that's how the film plays out. Anyone can see that. James Bond is a total failure in SKYFALL. If you were to ask John Logan what he set out to do, I'm sure he would admit to at least this much. There is no doubt of it in my mind. Here's the opinion: People love this deconstruction of James Bond and have every right to love it, but I have every right not to and to state my reasoning without being accused of having an attitude.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Richard--W said:
Some things are not matters of opinion. Every scene in SKYFALL is constructed to show Bond fail in what he attempts to do. He fails to recover the list, he fails to avoid being shot off the train, he fails catch Silva, he fails to prevent the assault on the tribunal, he fails to recover the hard drive in Shanghai, he fails to hold onto the opposition slipping through his fingers, he fails to save Severine, he fails to protect M. In fact in bringing her to Scotland it may be interpreted that he puts her in jeopardy and facilitates her death. there are layers and layers of personal failure in this script. That's not an opinion. That's how the script is written and that's how the film plays out. Anyone can see that. James Bond is a total failure in SKYFALL. If you were to ask John Logan what he set out to do, I'm sure he would admit to at least this much. There is no doubt of it in my mind.
And that's why nobody has been debating any of that.
Here's the opinion: People love this deconstruction of James Bond and have every right to love it, but I have every right not to and to state my reasoning without being accused of having an attitude.
See? How hard was that! This is where I'll leave it: the only thing people have been taking issue with is the way you've been presenting your opinion. That's all. Asking that guy up there if he had any professional experience, which I think we all assume the answer you wanted was "No," is one of the many examples in this thread of the off-putting nature of this discussion thus far.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
MattAlbie60 said:
This is what I meant and the fact that several others understood that, tells me I made myself clear. To answer the questions about my professional qualifications, the answers are all no. I'm not an actor, producer, etc. My opinions are those of a member of the movie-going public. Note the use of "a", I have no pretensions that I represent all or even many movie fans. I once heard that a diplomat is someone who can tell a person to go to hell and make them like it. Richard, I don't think you'd make a good diplomat, IMHO. :)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
That's as clever an insult of any member as I've seen posted here. Some of you are going to have to accept the fact that not everybody on HTF is an adolescent with purely juvenile interests. I speak with the confidence of a mature adult about what I know based on my professional experience. I am also a dedicated fan of the movies. It's nice that you love Daniel Craig and that you have these opinions. You are entitled to your opinions, even though they are quite worthless. It is hard to tell a wiseass kid on the internet that you know better because the internet is age-blind and makes everybody age-equal. So you might come across a 10 year-old shouting down a physicist for an equation he hasn't learned yet. The physicist knows better, but this is not the place to teach school. Your opinions are worthless because you have no experience or training on which to make them, and you sneer at people who share what they know in a spirit of good will. You don't know the difference between a fact and an opinion. You don't know anything, and like most ignorant people, you feel entitled to insult those who do. If I were to tell you to go to hell, Johnny Angell, I wouldn't see the need to be diplomatic about it, and I would be profoundly indifferent as whether or not you like it. Why don't you just grow up?

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Richard--W
The way the scene plays out, there's no reason Bond can't leap into action with the same fast moves before Severine is murdered. The objective of the scene is to show another failure, another defeat for Bond, another woman whose death he is complicit in.
I believe that you need to watch that scene again.
When Bond is initially handed his gun, Silva's henchman aims a pistol at Bond's head while standing several feet behind him - too far behind for Bond to pull off the maneuver he uses after Severine is killed. While Bond is focused on Severine, the henchman moves up directly next to Bond and holds the barrel of his pistol against Bond's temple. After Silva shoots Severine, the henchman backs off of Bond a foot or so - far enough that his pistol is no longer pressed against Bond's temple, but close enough that Bond can swing and hit his hand.
As for Bond's "off the cuff" remark which you so dislike, it comes in response to Silva's taunting question, "What do you say to that?" Bond wasn't about to give Silva the satisfaction of seeing him reacting in a distraught or shocked manner. Instead, he shrugs his shoulders and makes the comment about the scotch, which allows his immediate subsequent move to catch the henchman slightly off guard.
As for Bond's "failure," protecting M always was secondary to killing Silva. M knew that she was being used as bait and she agreed to it. The mission was to stop Silva from exposing any more agents.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Richard Gallagher said:
As for Bond's "failure," protecting M always was secondary to killing Silva. M knew that she was being used as bait and she agreed to it. The mission was to stop Silva from exposing any more agents.
EXACTLY!
Everytime I see a comment that Bond "failed" at the end of Skyfall because M died, I think: BUT HE KILLED THE BAD GUY!

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
Tommy R said:
EXACTLY! Everytime I see a comment that Bond "failed" at the end of Skyfall because M died, I think: BUT HE KILLED THE BAD GUY!
I haven´t watched the movie yet because I´ve got to wait another seven days till it will be released in my country on Blu-ray. Now I know the end because you spoilered it:( Damn.....

Kai Penttila

Agent
Mr. Pacino said:
I haven´t watched the movie yet because I´ve got to wait another seven days till it will be released in my country on Blu-ray. Now I know the end because you spoilered it:( Damn.....
You know, it's not the first Bond film where the villain dies in the end.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I can understand reading a review of a film knowing that most reviewers don't make it a habit of spoiling major surprises in a film (I was very careful in this review not to give too much away), but I can't believe anyone would read four pages of a thread about a movie and not expect that the movie would be discussed in detail which includes surprises and endings.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
He's mad that he knows the ending, but not that he knows the circumstances around Severine's death in clinical detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks