SkyBox by Maytag Personal Beverage Vendor

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MarkHastings, Apr 2, 2004.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

2. Chazz_S

Chazz_S Supporting Actor

I would just get a fridge instead.

3. MarkHastings

But where's the fun in that? [​IMG]

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I was thinking about one but I can get a coke machine or a pepsi machine used from Pepsi for the same money. Now one of those will only do cans but it will do about 10x the # of cans than the Maytag.

If I wanted a bottle version only, it will run a little cheaper but it's harder to find.

The nice thing about the Maytag is that its customizable and does both bottles and cans.. To me its worth the $$ if I wanted that.

FWIW, Home Depot has these.

5. MarkHastings

It's also much smaller (without the additional base) for those who can't fit a giant vending machine in our house. Really? I'll have to see if my HD has them. I didn't think they were being sold yet.

p.s. This is also a good idea for a small business. You can have your company logo put on it [​IMG]

6. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Yes My smaller of the 4 Home Depot's in Tulsa have it. I will bet they will have them almost anywhere. The pricing is the same as it is elsewhere.

8. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

My response has nothing to do with the drink container, but that guys HT, HOLY CRAP! It is near exactly what I want to do with my garage sometime.

Can anyone tell me...does the HT that is done like this add value to a home?

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    hey, if you read the reviews, there seems to be some mfgring problems with the cooling fan from Maytag so I guess you probably should be careful about that, maybe try to get one that has a newer mfgring date or perhaps wait a bit for the bugs to get ironed out..

Jay

10. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I bought a dorm fridge that could hold about 50 sodas for $120 when I moved into college 2 years or so ago... so until the price comes down about, half, I wouldn't buy one. [​IMG]

11. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    Only if you're selling it to another HTF member... [​IMG]

12. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Given the Maytag brand, I doubt it is going to happen. A fridge is NOT a soda machine. Having a friend who has had both, the difference is not small.

13. MarkHastings

That's exactly the point. This isn't something that is supposed to replace a fridge, it's just a novelty item that is 'super cool'.

It's just like video games...sure we can buy a video game for our game stations and play them on our tv's for a cheap price, but who here wouldn't want an arcade game in their house??? The novelty of the machine alone is cooler than anything you can buy for your game console.

14. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Well, I kind of hate to dredge up an old thread but we just got a Skybox this past weekend. My wife saw it in Home Depot a couple of weeks ago and just had to have one. Home Depot is running a $50 gift card in the mail rebate until June 10th so that mkes it a little more palatable as it is probably overpriced by around $100-150 IMO. But then again, like someone else wrote, it is really just a gimmicky type of purchase anyway.

So far, we do seem to have the cooling issue with the dirnks not getting as cold as we would like. I checked an many of the comments at Amazon.com mention it but that does seem to be a known issue with either the T-stat or the fan being installed backwards The Maytag repair guy is coming on Wednesday to service it.

15. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I picked up a hotel mini bar for $30, nice little unit and you can't beat the price.
    But I gotta admit the Skybox is pretty cool.

16. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Yeah, someone above already mentioned it but I'm going to do the soda machine, give me a full sized one with full graphics. Otherwise, I saw a mini fridge with the glass door on clearance at Home Depot for $89 that would satisfy me in a smallish HT room.

Or even better, a 5-6 spicket soda dispenser like the ones in a fast food place.

17. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Home Depot has had them for over 6 months now. They also have that new Maytag Dryer system as well. Both are pricey but they are appealing if you have the $$$$.

18. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

19. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

One can always do something similar. You can buy an Accord or a BMW. It simply depends on what you like, can afford and desire. Making do can be boring. Life is too short. [​IMG]

20. MarkHastings

A "Guilty Pleasure" if you will, and it's also 'functional'.