What's new

Sky High (1 Viewer)

Matt Man

Agent
I am way confused, so you are saying that Charles Xavier teaching the younger mutants how to use their powers, isn't a school?

If thats the case then wouldn't the whole Harry Potter analogy would not work as they are being trained to be witches and don't really have any other ciriculum (sp?) such as math, grammar etc.

All in all a school for the young with super powers was originally brought to us in X-Men, that is undeniable and the fact that half of the powers we see in the trailer for Sky High are almost exacts to that of the children from Xavier's school.

It's OK to like Disney, but you can't say this movie seems original in the least.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I'm reading a science fiction novel right now called Children of the Atom, by Wilmar Shiras, which features mutant children being gathered together at a school which is intended to shield them from the prejudice of the outside world. IIRC, it was written back in the 1940's, quite a while before the X-Men debuted. So I don't think Marvel has much room to go talking about people ripping off their ideas ;)

Matt Man

Agent
The "Children Of The Atom" book was published in 1953 (not the 40's), and was an inspiration for The X-men, that is true. Was the idea for The X-Men ripped off from the Children Of The Atom? NO, the powers and types of mutants are completely different (as well as the societal view points and the fact of no major arch nemisis other than humankind).

Now, Sky High on the other hand has almost the exact same types of powers and mutants as the X-Men(and if you think this is because of an accident not just so they can prey on the X-Men crowd think again).

On a side note since X-Mens debut in Sept 1963, they have become 100 times more widely known than the "Children Of The Atom" book. The main reason X-Men and "Children of the Atom" were a lot alike is because of the times. We had just dropped the A-bomb and were witnessing the aftermath it caused in Japan (hence the mutants) society was in an utter state of worry which always ends up coming out in the art/literature of the times.

Sky High is not based around any of the sort and 10 years apart (as COTA and X-MEN were) is a lot different then over 40 years (as Sky High is to X-Men).

As well to try to play down Stan Lee and Jack Kirby as "rip off artists" there must be something wrong here. Disney has mind washed the youth to think that stealing is ok, as they lead our children into the Masonic temple to their El Capitan theater one must wonder how a "family" oriented company has created such an evil empire

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Umm, those people didn't understand that it was an obvious homage? I guess these same super-sleuths accused the Incredibles of ripping off James Bond?

I disagree about Sky High ripping off Marvel. Yes, the kids have similar powers but that seems secondary to the high school 'coming of age' plot. The movie seems to focus more on the boy's troubles at school, his relationship with the disappointed parents, girl troubles, etc., etc. (at least until the final act where he gains powers and saves the world)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

I'm not necessarily trying to slam Lee or Kirby, for whom I have nothing but respect. Merely pointing out that originality is even more of an illusion that many people already assume. I think one of the fun things about reading old fiction is that aside from getting great stories, you learn that if you see a movie or tv show today, chances are the idea was already done in a novel, short story, or play, going at least as far back as the Victorian era :)

Anyway, the thing about Sky High is that I don't recall any angle of anti-super prejudice in the trailer, which to my mind is the most important thing in X-Men. If Sky High was a movie about how it's important for the superheroes to handle the bigotry and misunderstanding that will be directed against them by the general public, I'd say that's too close to X-Men. Just having a high school for superkids, though, eh, that's no big deal. The basic themes are what's really important and Sky High looks to me like it has more in common with a John Hughes film than the X-Men.

Matt Man

Agent
OK you keep pretending Sky High is something it is not, what I find funny is the same people defending this movie, will be the exact same people making comments on how lame and unoriginal the movie industry is while you patronize the very confines of it's problems.

As per Sky High being about high school and coming of age story about super heroes, you ever read The New Mutants or Gen-X guess what they were about?

All in all I really do not care whether anyone thinks this film is original. The fact of the matter is that it is not, just like the Incredibles (and no not them ripping off James Bond but as well the Fantastic Four and The Avengers, but I am sure you will have some unknown short story written in 1722 by an unknown author that was the "original" Fantastic Four/ Avengers) it is an ingenuine and a straight up stolen property to get your money, and guess what? You are going to give them exactly what they want, way to go!!!

Maybe companies shouldn't be as worried about piracy as they should about being totally ripped off

rob-h

Second Unit
Nothing is totally original. Inspiration comes from someplace for every idea. Unless we live alone and never come into contact with others at all.......we will be inspired by their works in our own creativity. The incredibles and Sky are not clones or copies.

Matt Man

Agent
Keep telling yourself that and someday you may actually believe it!

Yes, inspiration comes from other people, but at what point do we call inspiration forgery?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Matt,

(And everyone else)

Will you please tone down a bit.
Unpleasant personal remarks, taking the place of solid arguments, are not welcomed at this forum.

Matt Man

Agent
Hey JoSan, I do understand what you are saying, I know they want to make money, but as well we as consumers do have a choice on what we support and all I am trying to do is raise that flag.

Those on my side that don't like it, we can choose not to spend our money on it, if the film doesn't do well, then we have helped make a change (for the better in my opinion), I live in LA and know people that work for Disney and they told me about a year ago Disney was ripping off the X-Men thats were my problem comes.

I was told that the meeting basically went "Let's do an X-Men type film" so that is why I don't understand people telling me it is a homage, NO it is a blatant forgery that's all I am trying to say, I am not telling you to go or not to go, I am just giving FACTS

Matt Man

Agent
I do see what you are saying and yes I know about "concept-splicing", just when I hear someone who for the most part is always for Disney (the company they work for) and their current projects and I have him saying it is an utter rip off (even when on Movies like the Incredibles he did not agree with my original assumptions) so I take what he has said to me with a lot of weight. I guess thats why I seem so "convicted" I am really not I am just bored at work with nothing else to do so I am coplaining abiout a Disney movie (and now that I have said that I feel lame as hell, LOL) anyhoo to each their own and thanks for all the responses at least you cared enough to voice your opinion, which is 100 times better than doing nothing, thanks again

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
Ouch. Well, if we're going to look at it that way, as someone else noted, there are tons of other films that have ripped off of that idea. Is it 100% original, no. But it is fairly unique given the type of films we have this summer.

Don't mean to beat a dead horse...but...BRUCE CAMPBELL!! hello...

Matt Man

Agent
Yes Bruce Campbell is great, but does that make anything he is in great? Did you see Alien Apocalypse? Even Bruce himself thinks it is crap!

As well I have already said that Hollywood is constantly ripping off ideas, what I am trying to get accross is we have the choice in the end, if these rip off movies made no money they would be forced to go another route.

So as I would like some more original concepts, I will not be seeing Sky High, so when you do let me know how it is, thanks

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I just want to clarify that I have little actual interest in Sky High and will probably wait to rent it. Not because of whether it's original or not, but because it looks cheesy. I imagine when I finally see it, I'll probably come away wishing it had been about Kurt Russell, Kelly Preston, and Bruce Campbell's characters and not the whiny kid :)

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
I just wish a few things.

One, that it wasn't Di$ney (I'm extremely bitter about their treatment of Pixar and likely will remain that way for quite some time).

Two, that the film was at least geared towards a teen or all-ages audience. The concept of a superhero highschool acutally sounds like tons of fun, but the trailer doesn't give me any hope that as an adult the story will be accessible to me .... unlike Pixar's work which is always trans-generational and layered enough to both delight children with the simple giggles and visuals, and adults with the touchingly deep storylines and characters.

Oh well.

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
Could be me, but this seemed like more of a parody than anything else.

Does everything that Bruce Campbell touch turn to gold?? of course not, but i was reading AICN's comic con review -- they said it was pretty good.

I suppose we'll just have to wait until next weekend when it opens.

oh yes, and more stills on Latino Review -- in case anyone cares.

The guy that plays Warren Peace looks familiar to me, but i can't seem to place him...

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Didn't know Bruce was in it. Guaranteed classic now!

(Looking over cast) Some decent names here. A couple members of Kids In The Hall (Dave Foley, Kevin McDonald) and Phil LaMarr (Former Mad TV member, and voice actor)

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks