What's new

Sky High Review (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Well, I felt like seeing a film. And while Stealth looks like trash of the highest order, I could not cope with actually sending my money that way on opening weekend. I had to send a message.

I chose to send it to those who would cast Kurt Russell, Kelly Preston, and Bruce Campbell.

Whether you've seen Sky High, you've already seen Sky High. Catch my drift? That's not a bad thing, as Sky High travels a well-worn path with nary a misstep and a few tricks.

Starting with the adults (the film is really about the kids), Kelly Preston is still a stunner. Age has granted her a sexuality and presence she didn't have when I started my crush on her in Twins :) She looked a bit silly in the costume. As a realtor, I'd buy anything from her. Kurt Russell has a simple role, but he handles it well. I consider him an acting treasure who rarely gets the appreciation he deserves. Lynda Carter, Dave Foley, Kevin McDonald, and Bruce Campbell provide some laughs for the grown-ups during the hijinks that ensue.

It's your bog standard high school film. The hero never gets too cool (though they play the subplot, it's against him, not with him), and you know every twist well before it arrives. But the kids are game. I especially liked the kid who glowed. Charisma and adolescent charm, and he has the best moment in the film. But you've probably seen it in the trailer. Completely non-power related.

That said, the movie might have played stronger (and quite a bit differently) if the hero had never gained his powers. And still saved the day. I think I'd have preferred that myself.

I won't go into the costumes, effects, and direction. They are average at best. The cast carries the film amiably.

Not a bad romp (7/10),
Chuck

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This film will play to kids (its intended audience) well enough, the plot and the twists are definitely unsophisticated, but underneath it all, it uses having cool "super-powers" as a metaphor for high school life (popular vs. non-popular) and cliques. Lots of fun action-related gags, though the middle act drags a bit in this predictable tale of the hero being tempted by the dark side.

Overall, still fun, though.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
We had a midnight employee screening of this at the theater I work at and we all enjoyed it. Keep in mind, we're all 17 or older.

Considering last weekend we saw The Island, Bad News Bears, and The Devil's Rejects (all of which we thought sucked), this was surprisingly good.

James T

Screenwriter
I've been meaning to see this since a member on a message board I post at said he wrote the script. It was pretty cool to find out he wrote the script, but it probably would have been cooler if the Kim Possible writers didn't write off some of the other characters.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
This is a great family film! We all had a good time and there's something there for everyone, the cast is very likeable and it's just one of those movies that you leave the theater in a great mood. The Adult cast is really great and the kids and great too. I would like to see a franchise of each year of highschool since Will Stronghold is a freshman in this. :emoji_thumbsup:

CoreyII

Second Unit
I'll go see this film, it looks to be quite entertaining. Plus, I was there when the crew constructed the High School set pieces at Cal State University Northridge.

JohnAP

Second Unit
My girlfriend and I saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it. Family films that actually are fun for adults are rare and we found ourselves laughing throughout at all the superhero jokes. Sure the plot is straight out of every teen movie ever made. That's the point, it's part parody that loves it's source material. It even uses an all 80s soundtrack. As conventional as the story structure is, the jokes are all really clever and you just end up loving all the characters, even the ones that should just be bit parts. I highly recomend this one.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone else catch the Beetlejuice homage? The rubber kid wore a b&w stripped shirt. And it won seen extends his arms that looked exactly like Beetlejuice when he did the same.

ps-Lynda Carter is still smokin.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Saw it with the family on Sunday, loved it. Definetly one of those movies that will probably get a lot of play when it comes out on DVD. Very enjoyable movie, my 4 year old son watched it and my 3 year old daughter watched most of it but of course her attention span can last but so long. Pretty good plot

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
First of all I wanna say that the first time I saw the trailer for 'SKY HIGH' I thought it looked kinda lame, they were taking the cool premise of a superhero highschool and making a family friendly Disney flick most likely safe for all ages. Laaame.

Well then I kept seeing reviews for the movie that were positive, So Stephen and my Wife and I checked it out and...

...WE LOVED IT! It's got a high cheese factor but that's okay because the film doesn't take itself seriously right away we know that Will Stronghold(Michael Arangano) is the son to two of the most powerful superheroes in the world 'The Commander' and 'Jetscream'(Kurt Russell and Kelly Preston) and today is his first day of Highschool. Soon you will find out not just any highschool but SKY HIGH a highschool for superhero offspring who will hopefully become great heroes themselves.

Will's got the best friend who of course is a cute girl named Layla that he doesn't realize is in love with him. Of course not.

Will's got a problem though he hasn't shown any signs of having superpowers and all his friends have gotten powers and he's feeling a tad insecure. It doesn't help that his dad can't wait to turn the family into the first Family of Superheroes. Just like all the teen movies of the kid that doesn't have the heart to tell his dad he doesn't want to go into the Family business, College, insert sport here, etc.

We get to meet of all Will's outcast friends that will soon win your heart, Who wouldn't want to have friends like this?

This movie definitley follows a predictable pattern of teen woes in film but it doesn't matter cause all of the characters are just so damn likeable. All of em'. On the way to school we meet the Bus driver Ron Wilson the son of two mighty heroes who never got powers so he now drive the bus. Played by Kevin Heffernan of Super Troopers Farva fame he makes the best of his role and gets laughs. In fact all of the adults in this movie shine, We've got of course Kurt and Kelly as mom and pop but the faculty of the school work very well from Lind Carter as the Principal witht he power of the Comet? And Bruce Campbell as Coach Boomer a wise ass ball breaking P.E. Coach that loves torturing the students. My favorite though is Dave Foley as Mr. Boy a former hero sidekick that now teaches the Hero Support class for , well sidekicks. Also Kevin McDonald as a giant brained science teach Mr. Medula.

The kid cast is great too from Will and Layla to all of their geek friends that are destined for the sidelines as sidekicks this movie just has a charming cast of characters.

Of course the question for Will is will he ever get his powers? Will he realize that his best friend Layla digs him alot? Will his fellow student arch nemesis Warren Peace kick his ass? Of course we know all the answers and it doesnt matter because the execution is what it's all about and there were laughs for kids and adults. It's even got an all Cover 80's soundtrack which I found distracting at first but then realized a cover of Spandau ballet and The English Beat is better than most of today's music material that is in teen flicks so I will take it.

I hope this movie is a success cause i'd like to see another movie for every year of highschool for the group of friends. I know I know it's a disney flick, but that's what's cool I loved it and i'm not ashamed. Hehe.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know why Ebert and Roeper didn't review this? It was listed on Ebert's website prior to its release, but a review never showed up on it.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I am a 19 year old male who absouletly loved this movie. It's a typical live action Disney comedy, taken to the extreme. :) Very funny jokes, with references to Kids in the Hall, Mr. Show, and Bruce Campbell along with Kevin Heffernan are just perfect!

Ryan

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The best time I've had at the movies all year was with Sky High. It fully lived up to its potential, so it gets a perfect rating, which I do not give out lightly.

:star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks