What's new

Skunk (1 Viewer)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Always the same people making stupid comments like this. Yup, if it's inconvenient, just blow it away. Great policy
Excuse me? So I'm making a stupid comment because I would shoot a stinking animal that is known to carry rabies and has squirted my dog twice? Hell yes I would blow it away, all that would be left is a big greasy spot on the ground. Your entitled to your opinions, I didn't say anyone's opinions were wrong because they are different than mine(unlike you), but screw you if you are going to say my idea is stupid just because it's different than yours.

I value other people's opinions here, I may not agree with everyone and I'll be the first to say it, but I'll never say your wrong or stupid because you think differently than me or value different things.

I wouldn't shoot it at first sight, but I wouldn't deal with it for weeks on end either.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
:laugh:

Aside from the fact that it's cruel and unneccesary to kill the skunk, if you think it smells bad now, I'd love to be there to see how you react to the smell once you blow it away.

:laugh:

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Actually it wouldn't be bad. It wouldn't be the first critter.

Shovel it up, pitch it in the woods for the forest animals to feed on, spray down the area with the hose. Problem solved.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar Rain ;)

I'm the last person to kill a skunk that wasn't rabid. Nature works much easier when you don't do stupid things and when you give animals the distance and respect they need. Few animals in North America are a danger to humans and in that we're quite lucky: Bears, cougars, alligators and crocodiles, moose, some bees, and a few snakes are about it. So if it isn't one of those I say leave it alone so long as it isn't eating your house or you. About the only time I see destroying a wild animal as necessary is if it's badly wounded or rabid. Otherwise live around it.

I'm very comfortable living in the woods surrounded by wild animals and birds and trees and all manner of living things that I frequently find fascinating. The skunks were no different. Learn about the animals around you. Learn their habits, their strengths and weaknesses. You and the animals you share the land with will be much happier.

The previous owner of the house I live in complained constantly about deer eating all the plantings around the house. Didn't surprise me really, if I were a deer I'd consider my house a delicatessen. So I ripped out all the old plants and replaced them with things like euonymous, holly, ferns (bracken and sensitive), bleeding heart, and daylilys; plants deer don't like at all. Now I don't have a problem. Live to fit your environment. You can't change nature so might as well live with it.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Shovel it up, pitch it in the woods for the forest animals to feed on, spray down the area with the hose. Problem solved.
This scenario isn't an option. First, shooting a firearm in the city will certainly not be good. Second, I'd have to DRIVE to woods to chuck it in. Also, not good.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I think it's ridiculous that people walk down the streets at midnight nekkid as a jaybird, flaunting bodyparts in your windows. The duck has definately left the biscuits in the gravytrain. For shame on Mr. Peabody, he done dodo on lawn with sign that says "NO WANNA POPO"

Absolutely grabtastic.

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
"Damn, why is it accceptable to post in this manner? Call me a bitch, but some of us find cruelty to animals very offensive. Many of you just don't get it. "

DITTO!

We are all animals, albeit, humans are highly advanced, we are still animals.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not in favor of shooting animals, unless it's absolutely necessary, but I won't have members addressing each other with terms like "stupid" and "screw you". If you want to make such comments about another member then do so on another forum.

Crawdaddy

DanFe

Second Unit
Yep, Philip, and what we did to take away her chance to spray was to take the little spray bag off her (something I would never do to a wild animal again). This was back in 1967 and if anything that experience taught me as a boy growing up in Sumner, it was that skunks are beautiful WILD animals. That little skunk ended up running away and she never had a chance defending herself afterwards. Skunks are more than just rats that stink.

DanFe

Second Unit
I was referring to a comment made earlier in the thread. I know they aren't related.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I ran over a skunk at night many years ago. Someone had once told me that to rid your car of the skunk smell to drive on the gravel shoulder for a mile or two. I did and my car never did stink. Of course, back then, gravel shoulders were much more common in my area; much less so today.

Mark Schermerhorn

Second Unit
I prefer skunks to other nuisance scavengers like Raccoons. They're totally docile. I see them wandering around in the woods behind my apartment most nights. No trouble. But the doggie getting sprayed is a problem.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Talk about haste. I neglected to notice that my colleague has posted a warning. Sorry about the inconvenience!

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I was taught in vet school that any skunk, fox or raccoon that was seen sauntering along in the daytime was likely to be rabid, as these are mostly nocturnal animals.

That said, I usually don't bother animals or people that don't bother me first.

If Br'er Skunk is not welcome, look in the Yellow Pages for a Wildlife and Animal Removal Company. Most have baited cages for catching and relocating critters like this. God knows, I would hate to have to move that particular cage.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
my dog attacked a skunk last year, must have sprayed into his mouth, because his breath STUNK up our back hall for weeks. seemed to really make him sick too, he didnt eat or behave normally for a while. anyone know what is in their spray that stinks so much?

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks