What's new

Skunk (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
My dog got zapped by a skunk for the second time this week tonite. Apparently, there is a skunk in my yard somewhere. My dog was freaking out at the back corner of my fence - barking and clawing. I got her to come in the house and -zoosh- the skunk smell everywhere.

This skunk is obviously nesting back there somewhere but if I go after it, I might get skunked! What the hell should I do about it? We had to shampoo the dog with skunk shampoo twice this week and it always after 10:00 - pretty inconvenient!

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
when I was a kid we had one in the neighborhood, I seem to remember animal control trapping it with a live trap, maybe you can call your local animal control office and ask if they can help, or offer some suggestions? Well, other than shooting it :)

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Another skunk story.......

I recently contracted a major remodel of a home including knocking out walls and extending the kitchen area..... the lady spent about 100k on this remodel and really put some "show class" cabinets in and entered the home into the Southern Living mag......

A week after we were done, "something" got under the house and the husband, thinking it was a possum, set a trap.... when the "something" was caught by the trap, it sprayed everything........ that's is when they found out it was a SKUNK.......

This lady couldn't show her house for a couple of weeks and even then, it smelled like someone had really burnt some major toast..... Those skunks are bad news.......

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
No dog here but isn't the "traditional" idea was tomato juice??? Not sure if that's an old wive's tale but I've heard about it somewhere...

Maybe try some stainless steel

or silica. :crazy:

Jay

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Smell isn't the problem. We got skunk shampoo for the dog. I just don't know how to get it/kill it. It skulks around at night when I can't see it. I look around in the spot in the daytime and never see it.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Patrick,

Check the area where you think the skunk nesting. You may have grubs. They are little white worms that chew up your lawn pretty bad. Skunks like to dig them up and eat them. If you do have them, throw down some Grubex which can be found at Home Depot.

Tyler Beridge

Auditioning
Patrick, you should be find that skunk as I am told that skunks had been known to carry rabies. This is not good for domestic animals and humans.

Had you checked your dog whether it has rabies?

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
"Haw-haw, mon cherie, eets Pepe Le Pew. Let me show you how a Frenchskunk can love a woman!! What's that?! A gun?! I fart spray in your general direction!!"

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Do skunks serve any beneficial purpose in the circle of life, or are they just plain evil? They're basically rats that stink.

I vote evil. :thumbsdown:

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Eliminate their source of food... the skunk is visiting your house each night for a meal. Skunks are scavengers and will go after trash and old food (so check trashcans in the area). The grub issue mentioned above is another possibility. Cover yourself fully with old cloths/gloves/facemask before poking around to find the skunk.

Calling animal control is another method...

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
What's wrong with shooting it?
nothing in my book, but someone always comes in and whines about inhumane treatment. Personally I'd pop it in the head with a .22, if you get them in the head they don't spray (personal experience)

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Skunks are sweet-tempered and they eat termites and other insects. I had a pair living under my back porch for a year and they were fine. Never bothered me and never sprayed. Just be loud going out of the house and give them space and they won't bother you. Their eyesight isn't so hot either. If you let them know you and the dog are coming out they'll come to know the schedule and learn to avoid you.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Thanks for the tips. I've been accompanying the dog outside each night and making sure she doesn't go to the area where she was sprayed.

I'm moving in 2 weeks so I'll let the next guy deal with it.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
What's wrong with shooting it?
:rolleyes:Always the same people making stupid comments like this. Yup, if it's inconvenient, just blow it away. Great policy.

At work we have a recipe for a skunk odour remover, which reportedly works better than anything you can buy pre-made. I'll get it for you tomorrow and post it here.

I'll ask around about some possible humane methods of encouraging the skunk to relocate to another area.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks