What's new

Skipping / Popping (1 Viewer)

Kirk Mango

Stunt Coordinator
I recently have been noticing a popping or snapping coming randomly when playing CD's. Sometimes I have even had a note play loud and funny. I have never noticed this on DVD playback only recently on CD playback. I have heard it through my analog inputs to my preamp and through my digital connection as well. I own a Sony S9000ES DVD player and it is connected to a B&K REf 30 Preamp. This problem occurs randomly and can happen anywhere from 1 to 5 times through a whole CD. If I play back through the same area of the CD It plays clear. Where do I look first. DVD Lase, preamp, ???? Suggestions? Ideaz on what the problem is would be helpful. I may try and connect another CD type player, walkman, to my Ref 30 and see if it happens through the other player

KM

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
Kirk,

if you are using analogue bypass when playing analogue then the problem may be in your cd's laser pickup. If you are digitally processing the analoque input, the problem could be in either the pramp or the cd player.

You suggested your next logical step in hooking-up a different cd player for a while and seeing if the problem continues.

Marty

Kirk Mango

Stunt Coordinator
Marty,

I have gotten this popping, skipping, funny sounding string sound,etc. in digital mode, in analog upconverting mode, and in direct bypass mode. I am now in the process of connecting a walkman to my preamp and am going to play cd's through that and see what happens. One thing I noticed is when I went direct the snap sound was loud and in the upper range (tweeter). It is very random. May happens once through a whole CD or up to 5 different times. The sound is not always the same. One time a strum on a string instrument sounded really funny and louder then the other notes being played. Replayed the same section and it was fine. Just kind of weird. Is it possible that the laser pick up on the CD side of my DVD player is going bad? Is this what happens? I have not yet noticed any problem like this on DVD's. I watch at least 1 - 3 movies a week and have yet to hear anyghing like this. Any other ideas would be helpful?

KM

BenSummers

Auditioning
Have you tried playing a CD with your TV unplugged from the mains and with the aerial disconnected?
On the hifi in my bedroom, if I turn my TV off, but leave the aerial plugged in, I get random popping noises. This is probably because of my equipment though (a 14" Daewoo TV and old Sony amp without an earth lead). It shouldn't happen with better equipment. I also get a loud pop when our boiler turns off. Perhaps I should get a power conditioner.:D

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
On my old Pioneer CD player, I was getting a random,soft popping sound. It almost sounded like I was playing a vinyl record. This was through it's analog outputs, BTW (it didn't have digital outputs).

I verified it was the CD player by listening through headphones plugged directly to the CD player.

I wasn't able to determine the specific cause and the cost of having the problem diagnosed by a tech would have not been worth it.

So I bought a new CD player.......no more popping!

JimmyK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks