1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Skipping past Main Title sequences on TV DVDs

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Nicholas Martin, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin Cinematographer

Ever since getting "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" on DVD, I have been reading up on the review comments, and the one thing that jumps out is the complaint regarding chapter placements, and the inability to just skip past the opening credit sequence without going too far into an episode.

I wanted to ask, do the majority of TV DVD watchers do this?

Regardless of the show, I never skip past them. DS9, ANGEL, CSI, FIREFLY....I have always liked the music and sequences, and for whatever reason, no matter how often I have seen them (to the extent that I remember all the melodies and instruments in the music, and know the shots and/or clips from various episodes depending on the type of title sequence) I would never think of skipping them. I even watch the end credits every time.

Am I in the minority here? Are you more likely to skip past these things? Just curious.

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I'll sometimes watch them, but I'll even skip the Brady Bunch theme! If I'm watching more than one episode a night, I don't need to see the opening every time. And, on a release like the Dukes of Hazzard where the title sequence is preceded by a spoilerish trailer, I almost always skip to the show.

3. AlexF

AlexF Supporting Actor

Alex
    i'll tend to watch the opening credits at least once per season. my issue comes in when watching several episodes at a time. when that happens, i do prefer to be able to skip the credits. in the same way that i don't want to hear the same song on the radio 8-10 times a day, hearing the 45s credit music several times in an evening is equally bothersome. [​IMG]

4. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Never skip title sequences or credits, even if watching several episodes in a row. Same thing with movies.

5. nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood Second Unit

Depends, for a show like "The Office" or "Medium" I'll watch the credits, cause they're short and I like the music, but most of the time I skip them. I'll watch them at least once per season other than that I know who's in the show and such. That's not to say that I don't want the credits to be there cause I do if they have them. "Supernatural" doesn't even have an opening credit sequence.

6. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I watch my TV on DVD Marathon style. Usually 4 episodes in a row. When doing it this way, I definitely want to skip the opening credits. I don't need to see the same stuff over and over.

I agree Deep Space Nine was bad for this. But most others I have seem to be good at starting a chapter right after the opening credits.

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I always watch the opening and closing credits. Nowadays, almost all of them are about 60 seconds anyway. That's not that long to wait. [​IMG]

8. ElijahS

ElijahS Supporting Actor

I always watch the opening credits. End credits, if I really want to get to the next episode of the show, are expendable.

9. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    can you guys say "Anal"... LOL

10. TedT

TedT Second Unit

I always skip. Always. Especially if it's a new season or show I've never seen before (sometimes there's spoilers in them).

I remember getting burned on this once on that Buffy episode where it revolved around that secondary character being somebody "special". They changed the opening credits for that one episode!

11. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I always watch them, since I generally don't do marathons and they're really not that long...although I have to admit, I always rejoice a little bit when I pop in a Simpsons DVD and it goes straight to the couch gag.

However, unless there's material still going on (extra footage, bloopers, etc.) I always press stop when the end credits start.

12. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Nicholas,
    I usually skip them, especially on some of the older Universal titles that contained 1) Universal opening, 2) "Tonight on..." episode preview, and 3) Opening credits for the episode. I rarely watch a single episode of a show at a time; it's usually 4-12 episodes in a sitting, so I have no interest in watching the same opening over and over. I also mention the lack of chapters after the opening in a review I write because I want it there for people that enjoy them. Some people don't use the "play all" feature either, but I like it there for those that do.

A chapter after the opening of the episode, and a "play all" feature take very little time to implement on a DVD, but they allow people to watch the shows the way they want to, which is really what TV-on-DVD is all about.

One problem with the earlier Star Trek stuff was the lack of consistency. They would set the chapters after the opening on most of the episodes, but they would screw it up for 1-6 episodes per season. I bitched loudly about that because someone slacked off, and someone else didn't check it. Keep in mind this is coming from the guy that sat with time-coded video tapes and wrote down the chapter placements for the first few seasons of "Kids in the Hall" [​IMG]

Gord

13. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    It all depends on how much of a time crunch I'm in. If I know I'm cutting a half hour show close, I will zoom through the opening credits. It also depends if I'm watching with someone. My father threw a fit the one time I tried to go through the Farscape opening credits.

Will NEVER do that again. [​IMG]

14. Dan McW

Dan McW Second Unit

Dan
    The original Mission: Impossible had a combination teaser/main title that should not be skipped on the DVDs (granting we see the show on DVD). Quick clips of the episode you are watching appear in that episode's main title, backed by (natch) one of the greatest themes of all time.

I like watching the opening credits of any Quinn Martin show, as they announced the episode's title and guest stars at the end of the sequence, which otherwise didn't vary from one episode to the next.

15. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I ususally watch them but one notable psuedo-exception is The Flintstones. Those episodes open with a fairly long excerpt from the upcoming show. I really don't want to see that, so I skip ahead to the title sequence. But you can't skip to it, you have to fast forward and then back up a bit, so it's definitely a pain in the ass to do.

16. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

I only watch them for each new season. Babylon 5 got me in that habit since the opening credited changed every season (and changed drastically for the 5th season). After the first episode of a season, or when getting back into the show after a long break, I skip the opening credits.

I hate the shows that don't set the chapter stops correctly to skip the credits. But the ones that really annoy me are the ones where it's set right for all but a couple episodes. I think the 7th season of Homicide finally got it right except for one episode. So I've gotten in the habit of pressing the Next Chapter button, then the rewind button, then play. That combination on my player effectivly shows me the last second or two before the chapter stop.

17. PaulP

PaulP Producer

To me it's all part of the show. Even if I'm watching several episodes in a row. Anal? Yeah probably...

18. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I usually don't skip the theme songs; love 'em all. The only thing I usually skip is teasers from the upcoming episode--a pointless exercise that I'm glad to see has been done away with in the recent past. The biggest offender: Dallas. They should have done last-episode recaps, not this-episode spoilers. I always skip 'em.

19. Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin Cinematographer

Thanks for the responses. I guess it would also depend on the show itself. ANGEL for example, has an opening sequence that, no matter how many time I have seen it, gets me excited about the show- especially after the slow, melancholy cello opening that erupts into rock music.

For DS9, while the sequence is very slow, I have always loved McCarthy's title theme, and is more fun and interesting after season 3 when it was changed. That's one thing that makes me watch it every time.

For those of you with Voyager DVDs, I can't imagine any of you skipping past its theme...after all, you would essentially be skipping past the best part of the show!

Just kidding....well not really.

For CSI - hearing the theme in 5.1 on the DVDs was very interesting, because it's actually quite discrete in the different channels. when I first started watching it, I had no idea it was nothing more than 31 seconds edited together out of a nearly 7 minute song. I've heard it referred to as the coolest theme song on TV, and I'm inclined to agree, It's another example of it making the opening of the show more exciting.

I guess you have to really love these sorts of things.

I always watch the End credits, just like in films, because like some have said here- they are a part of the show. Of course it's more fun if the credits are outtakes or something like that.

20. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

If I hear the start of the Gilmore Girls theme song I cringe; I HATE that song, but I love the show. I usually sit there with the remote in my hand so I can skip the opening of the episode.

Gord