What's new

Skip the theater, Get the DVD? (2 Viewers)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
There must be 30+ multiplexes in the D/FW Metroplex. I've been to many of them. Fancy decor, 6 concession stands in many of them.
We've had a generally good run at the UA down the road off MacArthur, Neil, but we tend to go mid-week. Too many teenagers etc at the weekends.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I try and limit what I see in the theater. I much prefer to watch movies at home, on my 58" 16:9 RPTV, eat during the movie, not have noisy inconsiderate people around and have choice seating.

I do catch the 'big' ones in the theater, but usually go to a morning show, 10am, 10:30am, etc., and not on opening weekend. Tends to give me much smaller crowds.

Besides, I bought all the equipment to enjoy movies at home, and many movies I find only intersting enough to watch once, so I hold off. In fact, it's usually the big blockbusters, that I'm pretty certain I'll want to watch many times that I see in the theater, for the first time. Then at home on DVD later.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
A suggestion for those of you whom have children and there is a movie both you and your mate want to see.

We have a 2 1/2 year old so I understand the dilemma you face.

If agreeable, set it up so that each of you - assuming you both work - goes out with friends/workmates.

This bypasses the babysitting costs nicely.

Of course, if you want to go to the movie together this strategy is of no help.

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
This seems like a good idea. Instead of having paid 27$ to see SW:EPII:AOTC, I should've stayed home and buy the dvd for the same price. HOW STUPID I AM!!!

Geez, thanx for the idea.

But, Spider-Man was worth seeing in the theaters.

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
The last movie I saw was Scooby-Doo. During the trailers, the film mis-tracked. Badly. No one moved to correct it. Then the feature presentation began. Still no good. I'm saying it was so bad that no one could make out ONE THING that was going on. I and about 3 others went down during the show to politely tell someone about it. Were told that it would be taken care of. 5 min. later it was still like that. Me and guy in front of me on the aisle took off at same time AGAIN. Asked to speak to manager, who issued us "Rain Checks" for our families. I told her that she should take care of the whole theater, and not just us. I guess she didn't like that, 'cause she didn't.
During same movie, five young teenagers directly behind us decided they'd SING the opening theme! They made catty remarks about Daphne, about everyone ... This went on for 15 min. I turned around and told them in no uncertain terms that they'd better shut up, or I'd be getting someone from the theater to remove them. They shut up ;) Hey, ya gotta get your bluff in somehow :angry:
This was on the same weekend that we got our 50" Toshiba Widescreen.
Those rainchecks? They're still sitting on top of the audio cabinet! ;)

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I'm a really non-confrontational person, but I had to get up in the middle of a movie and tell some guy who was chatting on his cell phone...and ignoring all the people hissing at him to shut up...that he was disturbing others and to take his conversation to the lobby. He got up, ear still glued to his phone, and never said a word, but he did leave the theater.

I don't care about seeing anything in a mall-type theater anymore. If it isn't worth spending $7.50/ticket to see it at the Bridge Theater (stadium seating, great sound, comfortable seats), I'd just as soon pass and wait for the DVD. I'm tired of spending $5.50 for a "bargain" matinee and sitting in a noisy theater with a bunch of yahoos in a seat that provides no leg room. I want a GOOD theater experience or I'll wait for home video.

Jan

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Video is not film. Video isn't even that close to film.

I love my home theater but I have never had an HT experience that matched a decent theatrical experience.

Also, while many people hate crowds there is nothing like a good crowd to make a good film become great, especially comedy and action.

Sure we all know that many times the theater is littered with idiots breaking every rule of politeness, but it's not always that way. I often catch a $5.50 matinee and skip the snacks.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Seth, not all theaters get the quality prints top-of-the-line theaters get, and not everyone has access to those quality theaters. Some of us have to make do with crummy mall 'plexes, and upgrading to a better theater is not an option unless we're willing to drive out of state. For those of us in that situation, video is a much better option than what commercial thaters offer us. My FOTR DVD will only be 480p, but you know what? It'll look crisper and livelier than the crap print I had to endure in theaters. It will also play flawlessly on my system, and I can rest assured that the picture will never be out of focus, as it was a couple times in the theater. There will be no sound dropouts, and absolutely no one will chatter the film away.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I also see a big difference in film and home video.

That is why I see more films at the theater than at home on DVD.

I think you're a film lover if you make the effort to go see films in their intended format: projected on a big screen with a good sound system.

I think you're a movie lover if you are happy with home video presentation of films.

I enjoy the scale of films on the big screen at theaters, that's part of the magic of film that is lost on people who would rather stay at home and watch movies in their HT.

Sure, people would rather have the convenience and atmosphere of home video viewing, but for me, theatrical viewing of films is worth the "loss of ambience in the home" even with the ocassional jackasses who don't know know how to behave in public. The vibe you get while watching a great film in the theaters with an appreciative is unmatched by any home video presentation. It's just a different viewing experience that makes it more enjoyable for me. YMMV.

Cost is a non-issue. We make allowances in expenditure directly in proportion to what we consider the event or the software is worth to us. But I'd rather take a chance on a matinee ticket for a film, than spend $15-$20 on a blind DVD purchase (selling off unwanted DVDs just isn't a priority for me...yet).

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Patrick,

Exactly. Just my opinion, but I have never been one to purchase DVD's sight-unseen. I make my buying decision after watching at the theater, or, in some cases, after renting it.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I enjoy the scale of films on the big screen at theaters, that's part of the magic of film that is lost on people who would rather stay at home and watch movies in their HT.
Well, thanks for projecting your personal preferences onto the rest of us.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I think you're a film lover if you make the effort to go see films in their intended format: projected on a big screen with a good sound system.
I think you're a movie lover if you are happy with home video presentation of films.
Exactly. The best and intended presentation of any film will always be in a theater. I saw Road To Perdition last night, and I'm certainly glad I didn't have to see it on a tiny screen with low resolution video ;).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some of you need to chill and to remember that when a person states his opinion on something that's all it is an opinion which means it's not an absolute truth.

Crawdaddy

Mike Buckles

Agent
The more movies that they produce on video, e.g.-Star Wars, Attack of the Clones...the more movies I will wait for the dvd release. I go to the theater for the FILM experience, not to watch a video. Star Wars looked fuzzy, and I can get a much better picture at home...and who can beat the "pause" feature, or the cost of drinks in my kitchen? And I can rent a dvd for 3 or 4 bucks..taking my entire family to a movie can cost about 28.00 bucks, add 15.00 onto that if we get snacks...so if Hollywood wants to get cheap, and make videos instead of movies..that's fine..I'll get cheap too! Mike

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
This is how I justify most of my DVD purchases. It's funny because I used to goto the theater almost every week to see a new movie and now with DVD I hardly even go once a month.

DVD allows us to see high quality video & sound that can rival our local theaters. That's why alot of us wait for it to be come out on DVD, because we think it will sound better at home than at the theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks