Skip in audio on HDCD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kirk Mango, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Kirk Mango

Kirk Mango Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased the 25th anniversiry edition of Mannheim Steamroller C.D. which is really an HDCD. On its first play through on the second track I had a skip in the song. Played it through, no skip. Played it again, no skip. HMMMM. I have a Sony 9000ES DVD/CD/SACD player which is 2 years old. It is connecte both digitally and analog to my B&K Ref30 Preamp. I had the video side of the player disabled so as to concentrate on the audio side and I was playing it straight through analog to my preamp. Anyone ever experience random skips like this? I have never had a CD skip before, whether CD SACD or HDCD. This was the first time. I have never had my player cleaned either. Is that something that should be done regularly? Was this probably a one time thing? Just wondering?

KM

2. Phil_O

Phil_O Stunt Coordinator

Probably nothing to worry about. I have a cleaner CD, the kind with the little bristles on it, that says you should use it to clean your laser lens after every 10 hours of playback. Just something to think about.

3. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Are you listening in analog or digital? In other words, you will only hear the HDCD decoded if you listen via the analog outputs. If you listen to the signal via the digital outputs you will not get HDCD decoding. This may help you to evaluate.

4. Kirk Mango

I am listening in Analog. Through the Left and Right outs of the DVD player. Shut down the Digital and Video side of the 9000 so as to concentrate on the Audio side.

KM

5. Kirk Mango

Any more responses

KM