Size & Speaker Settings: Please Help

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Keiwana, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Keiwana

Keiwana Stunt Coordinator

Jun 20, 2003
    I am going to upgrade my speakers in the near future, but I do not know what size speakers to purchase (book shelf or floorstanding.) My delima is the result of reading that in a hometheater setup, the main speakers should be set to small to get the best sound(I'll be using a sub in my set-up.)

If my mains should be set to small, what is the advantage, if any, of using floorstanding speakers?
  2. george.Legeza

george.Legeza Stunt Coordinator

Nov 21, 2002
    I could be wrong here, but I believe that, for most receivers, the speaker size setting determines the crossover point. When set to 'small' the speakers will only receive higher frequency sound, whereas when set to large they'll get a more full range. The small speaker setting is mostly for cases where you don't want your mains to reproduce sounds that they're not meant to (such as having a speaker with only a small midwoofer produce very low frequency sound).

The only reason you might not want a full range at the main speakers in HT is if you think your subwoofer will do a better job of reproducing the lows. With my DM303s, this is definitely the case. It just doesn't sound as good when these tiny speakers need to drop way down. With larger speakers, though, I'm not sure why there'd be a problem setting your receiver to large and giving them a full range. They'd probably just compliment the subwoofer and add extra punch.

(and to answer your question properly - if your mains ARE set to small then you probably wouldn't benefit as much with floorstanders, but that doesn't mean that they still wouldn't do a better job than bookshelf speakers at giving extra oomph to your system.)

Edit- Although, personally, I prefer bookshelf speakers for home theater anyway. Floorstanders, IMHO, are best for music since you won't have to worry about the subwoofer intruding and sounding unnatural.
  3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

Jun 24, 1999