What's new

sixth speaker problem (1 Viewer)

Steve*_P

Agent
I have a Marantz 7500 receiver and I have 6 speakers and everything seems to be hook up right, but when I put the A/B speaker switch to A and B the sixth channel plays the same as the Front Center. Is there something in the menu I may be missing?

Steve

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
???

A/B has nothing to do with your 6th channel and that is not where you should have it connected on the back of the receiver. Setting the receiver to A+B should not activate the surround back speaker. The rear center should be hooked to the "surround back" channel output. In your speaker setup menu for the receiver, you'll need to tell it you are only using one rear speaker too.

What mode are you listening to, and what are you using as a source to test? You should hear proper surround when you play DVDs with a DD-EX or DTS-ES track, and also decent separation when using DPLIIx.

Steve*_P

Agent
Ok here is my set up and I think my problem also. My 2 front speakers are Bi-wired so the manuel says to hook up the second set of cables from those speakers to the surround back inputs and put the speaker C selector swith to on, and connect the rear back speaker to the second set (speaker b terminals)of right front speakers. So that is how they are setup. Now when I put the speaker C selector switch to off I can then have the option to tell the receiver that I have a surround back speaker, and if I leave that switch to off I get no bass out of my main speakers(they are set to large by the way) they are the Cambridge Soundworks T500. So when I put that C switch back to on, I lose my 6th channel. Is it possible that with the Bi-wired speakers I can not have a 6th channel.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I have not read the manual. But make sure you understand that bi-wire and bi-amp is not the same thing.

Sounds more like a bi-amp option offered by the AVR to me. If that is the case, you would be correct as there would not be enough power amps to bi-amp + use a 6th channel.

bi-wire, the two connections from a speaker should go back to the same location / speaker output on the AVR. Which is why bi-wiring is really a gimmick more than anything with very limited benefit. Now bi-amping is real, and would react as your stating. You would only get mids/highs for the connections to your mid/high drivers on the speakers, with only bass going to the low drivers.

I think you have gotten confused on the bi-wire / bi-amp terminolgies and what they mean.

Steve*_P

Agent
The manuel calls it bi wire an I did notice a difference in the mids and highs when I connected them. So maybe the manuel has a mis prints.

Thanks
Steve

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just looked at the manual and no, you cannot connect BOTH a rear center and bi-amp the mains with the same terminals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks