Sixteen Candles - What the??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Poehlman, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Why in the world is "Sixteen Candles" selling for $54.45 on Amazon.com? My wife loves this movie and I have been looking all over for it for her. I look at the specs on Amazon and it doesn't seem to be anything special... in fact the reviews on the audio/video transfer were mediocre at best.

What am I missing?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I don't think Amazon is selling those. I think it's acting as an intermediary like EBay. Try ordering the disc, and you'll see what I mean.

And no, I wouldn't pay that price for the Image disc, especially with rumors of an upcoming special edition. But there are lots of crazy people out there.

M.

3. JoeDeM

JoeDeM Stunt Coordinator

Joe
    It's OOP, the disc was put out by Image. I was at a store not to long ago that had 5 or 6 in stock, and some guy picked them all up (EBAY scalper), at the time I didn't know they were going out of print, and didn't pick one up[​IMG]
    It is one of my wifes favorite movies as well.

4. TomF

TomF Stunt Coordinator

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a special edition. The Image edition that is now OOP had the same music substitutions as the VHS release. It would be great if a special edition would have all the original music, although I doubt the studio would be willing to spend a lot to get it. The only way I know of now to get the original music is to watch the censored/P&S version on TV or find an older version of the VHS [​IMG]

5. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

The rights reverted back the Universal and it had been reported that they would eventually get around to releasing it as a SE.
    -Chad

6. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan

7. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Producer
    Supporter

I had a copy of Sixteen Candles
    on DVD, and put it on eBay because the picture
    quality it was worse than "mediocre." While
    it was widesceen, it looked like it had been
    mastered off of vhs video. It was horrible.
    I am sure a better version has to be on the
    horizon.
    This was one of those titles that Image was
    releasing for Universal that got pulled when
    Universal complained that Image was selling
    DVDs of their catalogs titles too cheaply.
    A bunch of Universal/Image Entertainment titles
    went OOP because of that.
    Mark

8. John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf Second Unit

Actually Image's licences on the Universal films were about to expire within months anyway. Image simply repriced their Universal titles to a $14.95 list in order to sell more units and clear out old stock while they still had the chance to squeeze a little cash out of titles whose sales had gone flat. All during this time Image continued to pay Univeral the same percentage of fees per title as they did before, only under the new list price that amount was smaller.

The flak came when Universal felt the the $14.95 list was too low and would later probably lower the maximum price they themselves could charge per title when the rights reverted back to the studio. Language in the contract between the two companies was not clear as to the lowest price allowable, and that led to the legal confrontation.

Regardless of any legal action, the $14.95 price point stuck and Image's licences expired. The titles are all now in Univirsal's hands; and with Midway, newer improved versions with higher list prices have begun to be released under their own banner.

Many of the OOP Image titles can still be found on shelves, though certainly not the most popular. Barnes & Nobles and Borders are good places to look to find them.