Six Wives of Henry VIII

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Felicia J, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Felicia J

Felicia J Agent

I would love to own this classic BBC production on DVD, but I have heard the video and audio in the current set is poor, and the discs have no chapter stops. Has anyone heard if there are plans to re-release this set with a better transfer and extras?

I love the BBC Elizabeth R set. Since these are old, low-budget productions, I don't expect pristine picture and sound, but I'm concerned the current "Six Wives" set might be unbearable to watch, from what I'm hearing.

Also, does anyone have any comments on the "I, Claudius" set?

2. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    "I, Claudius" is fine. I watched it over a year ago. I think there may have been some minor artifacting here & there, but overall it was very watchable. Sound is nothing special, but the dialogue is very clear and understandable and that's the key thing with this show. You seem to have the right level of expectations so I would say to go for it.

I don't have "Six Wives", so I won't comment, except to say that I have heard the same things you have regarding the poor quality of the set.

3. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Felicia,

I owned the Six Wives set and I found them to be UNWATCHABLE even on the WEGA 32" set I had then.

I actually returned the first set because it was defective (two disc 2's and no disc three). The second set looked just as terrible as the first (and still had the mentioned defect).

The video quality is so bad, that most commercial VHS tape will beat it hands down.

All that said, I too would really like a proper version of these programs, but we'll have to wait for that.

Cheers

4. Enrique B Chamorro

Enrique B Chamorro Supporting Actor

5. Alan Benson

Alan Benson Stunt Coordinator

While I completely trust the opinions of the folks above, I find the Six Wives set not only bearable, but a joy to watch... Of course, I only have a 27" set, and came to the boxset with very low expectations...

Clearly they could improve on the chapter stops -- but I'm unconvinced that a better transfer is going to do much to improve the very cheap and dated source material. (I also see no reason to suspect this title would ever be re-visited with a newer R1 transfer...)

For what it's worth, I also love the current I, Claudius package. Maybe I'm just easy. Nothing's unwatchable if you love the material, and these are the best packages we're likely to get.